ANN: ActivePython 2.6.3.7 (and PyPM) is now available

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sridhar Ratnakumar, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. I'm happy to announce that ActivePython 2.6.3.7 is now available for
    download from:

    http://www.activestate.com/activepython/

    This is a patch-level release that updates ActivePython to core Python
    2.6.3 along with the fixes for a couple of critical regressions that
    instigated the work on 2.6.4. See the release notes for full details:

    http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/2.6/relnotes.html

    Introducing PyPM
    ----------------

    This release includes a new packaging tool by activestate called Python
    Package Manager (PyPM). PyPM - currently in beta - is the package
    management utility for ActivePython. It simplifies the task of locating,
    installing, upgrading and removing Python modules. For full details,
    see:

    http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/2.6/pypm.html

    Here's a sample command line output::

    $ pypm install lxml
    Get: [pypm.activestate.com] :repository-index:
    Ready to perform these actions:
    The following packages will be installed:
    lxml-2.2.2
    Get: [pypm.activestate.com] lxml 2.2.2-1
    Installing lxml-2.2.2
    $ python
    >>> import lxml.etree
    >>>^D

    $ pypm remove lxml
    Ready to perform these actions:
    The following packages will be removed:
    lxml-2.2.2
    Removing lxml-2.2.2

    $ pypm install pylons
    Ready to perform these actions:
    The following packages will be installed:
    pastescript-1.7.3 formencode-1.2.2 weberror-0.10.1 simplejson-2.0.9
    routes-1.11 nose-0.11.1 mako-0.2.5 past
    edeploy-1.3.3 pylons-0.9.7 tempita-0.4 webtest-1.2 beaker-1.4.2
    webhelpers-0.6.4 paste-1.7.2 pygments-1.1.1
    decorator-3.1.2 webob-0.9.6.1
    Get: [pypm.activestate.com] formencode 1.2.2-1
    Get: [pypm.activestate.com] nose 0.11.1-1
    [...]
    Get: [pypm.activestate.com] decorator 3.1.2-1
    Get: [pypm.activestate.com] webob 0.9.6.1-1
    Installing formencode-1.2.2
    Installing weberror-0.10.1
    [...]
    Installing pygments-1.1.1
    Fixing script /home/sridharr/.local/bin/pygmentize
    Installing decorator-3.1.2

    What is ActivePython?
    ---------------------

    ActivePython is ActiveState's binary distribution of Python. Builds for
    Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, HP-UX and AIX are made freely available.

    ActivePython includes the Python core and the many core extensions: zlib
    and bzip2 for data compression, the Berkeley DB (bsddb) and SQLite
    (sqlite3) database libraries, OpenSSL bindings for HTTPS support, the
    Tix GUI widgets for Tkinter, ElementTree for XML processing, ctypes (on
    supported platforms) for low-level library access, and others. The
    Windows distribution ships with PyWin32 -- a suite of Windows tools
    developed by Mark Hammond, including bindings to the Win32 API and
    Windows COM. See this page for full details:

    http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/2.6/whatsincluded.html

    As well, ActivePython ships with a wealth of documentation for both new
    and experienced Python programmers. In addition to the core Python docs,
    ActivePython includes the "What's New in Python" series, "Dive into
    Python", the Python FAQs & HOWTOs, and the Python Enhancement Proposals
    (PEPs).

    An online version of the docs can be found here:

    http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/2.6/

    We would welcome any and all feedback to:

    Please file bugs against ActivePython at:

    http://bugs.activestate.com/query.cgi?set_product=ActivePython

    On what platforms does ActivePython run?

    ActivePython includes installers for the following platforms:

    - Windows/x86
    - Windows/x64 (aka "AMD64")
    - Mac OS X
    - Linux/x86
    - Linux/x86_64 (aka "AMD64")
    - Solaris/SPARC
    - Solaris/x86
    - HP-UX/PA-RISC
    - AIX/PowerPC
    - AIX/PowerPC 64-bit

    Extra Bits
    ----------

    ActivePython releases also include the following:

    - ActivePython26.chm: An MS compiled help collection of the full
    ActivePython documentation set. Linux users of applications such as
    xCHM might find this useful. This package is installed by default on
    Windows.

    Extra bits are available from:

    http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePython/etc/

    Thanks, and enjoy!

    The Python Team

    --
    Sridhar Ratnakumar
    sridharr at activestate.com
    Sridhar Ratnakumar, Oct 7, 2009

  2. Sridhar Ratnakumar

    Robert H Guest

    On Oct 6, 8:16 pm, "Sridhar Ratnakumar" <>
    wrote:
> [...]
    >
    >      http://bugs.activestate.com/query.cgi?set_product=ActivePython
    >
    > On what platforms does ActivePython run?
    >
    > ActivePython includes installers for the following platforms:
    >
    > - Windows/x86
    > - Windows/x64 (aka "AMD64")
    > - Mac OS X
    > - Linux/x86
    > - Linux/x86_64 (aka "AMD64")
    > - Solaris/SPARC
    > - Solaris/x86
    > - HP-UX/PA-RISC
    > - AIX/PowerPC
    > - AIX/PowerPC 64-bit
    >
    > Extra Bits
    > ----------
    >
    > ActivePython releases also include the following:
    >
    > - ActivePython26.chm: An MS compiled help collection of the full
    >    ActivePython documentation set. Linux users of applications such as
    >    xCHM might find this useful. This package is installed by default on

    Very nice, I will try it out since I am in the process of learning
    Python.

    Bob
    Robert H, Oct 7, 2009

  3. Sridhar Ratnakumar

    denis Guest

    On Oct 7, 2:16 am, "Sridhar Ratnakumar" <>
    wrote:
    > This release includes a new packaging tool by activestate called Python
    > Package Manager (PyPM).PyPM- currently in beta - is the package

    Sridhar, folks,
    the ActivePython FAQ says
    "While you can install most packages registered in PyPI using the PyPM
    client, some packages may not yet be available in the ActiveState
    repository"

    Does that mean that PyPM installs ONLY from the activestate repository
    and not from url or .tar.gz or dir/ ?

    cheers
    -- denis
    denis, Oct 16, 2009
  4. Sridhar Ratnakumar

    srid Guest

    On Oct 16, 3:30 pm, denis <> wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 2:16 am, "Sridhar Ratnakumar" <>
    > wrote:

    > > This release includes a new packaging tool by activestate called Python
    > > Package Manager (PyPM).PyPM- currently in beta - is the package

    > Sridhar, folks,
    >   the ActivePython FAQ says
    > "While you can install most packages registered in PyPI using the PyPM
    > client, some packages may not yet be available in the ActiveState
    > repository"
    >
    > Does that mean that PyPM installs ONLY from the activestate repository
    > and not from url or .tar.gz or dir/ ?

    This is correct. Although it may change in the future. Note that
    almost all the packages are available in the activestate repository
    (see pypm.activestate.com). Some packages are not in the repository
    due to build or metadata issues .. that will be slowly patched on our
    side (if the package is popular) or the package authors can fix it
    themselves.

    As for installing from a URL, you may use easy_install (included in
    ActivePython). For .tar.gz and dir/, run 'python setup.py install'
    manually.

    HTH.

    -srid

    PS: You can pass -vv option to see the actual URL of the package being
    downloaded. Eg: "pypm -vv install lxml"
    srid, Oct 16, 2009
  5. Sridhar Ratnakumar

    denis Guest

    On Oct 16, 2:23 pm, srid <> wrote:

    > > Does that mean that PyPM installs ONLY from the activestate repository
    > > and not from url or .tar.gz or dir/ ?

    > This is correct. Although it may change in the future. Note that

    Sridhar, activestate folks,
    if you want people to switch to PyPM, make it UNIFORM and
    COMPATIBLE.
    "Use tool A for this, tool B for that" => FearUncertaintyandDoubt =>
    reduced market share
    (at least for people who don't enjoy FearUncertaintyandDoubt)

    cheers
    -- denis
    denis, Oct 16, 2009