[ANN] aeditor 1.7

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Simon Strandgaard, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. AEditor is an uborcool programmer's editor, written entirely in Ruby
    and very easy to extend with your own customizations.

    screenshots:
    http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?HomePage

    install guide + download:
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/aeditor/

    Contact me if you want to volunteer.

    Changes since 1.6

    1) ruby syntax coloring has been improved
    it can now deal with strings,literals,regexp that spans over
    multiple lines. If brackets has been used for literals, then
    it count bracket-pairs and ignores escaped brackets.
    http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?RubyLexer

    2) c++ syntax coloring
    http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/aeditor_shots/029.png
    http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/aeditor_shots/027.png

    3) delete key.

    4) immediate update.. earlier if there were incoming event
    then no repaint occured, which could be frustrating if
    you held down a key.

    Thanks for all the feedback I have gotten. Keep it coming ;-)

    AEditor 1.7 features

    aeditor --selftest # -> 421 tests, 1447 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors
    syntax coloring for: ruby, c++.
    multi buffers
    option for autoindent
    option for skipping tabs or moving through tabs
    option for tabsize
    configuration file
    easy to make custom themes
    ruby license
    platform independent: works on unix, mac and win.

    AEditor 1.7 uses these keybindings

    CURSOR

    CTRL-G Goto line
    CTRL-M Jump to matching parentesis
    CTRL-Left Prev word
    CTRL-Right Next word
    CTRL-PgUp Goto Top
    CTRL-PgDn Goto Bottom
    F4 Incremental centering
    Left Move left
    Right Move right
    Up Move up
    Down Move down
    PgUp Move a page up
    PgDn Move a page down
    Home Move to indentation point / move to line begin
    End Move to line end

    EDIT

    Backspace Remove left letter
    Delete Remove right letter
    Enter Break line
    Tab Indent line
    SHIFT-Left Unindent line / Unindent selection
    SHIFT-Right Indent line / Indent selection
    SHIFT-Up Exchange with line above
    SHIFT-Down Exchange with line below
    F5 Selection on/off (turn off copies to clipboard)
    F6 Paste from clipboard
    F7 Cut selection
    F10 Record/Stop
    F11 Play Macro

    SEARCH

    CTRL-F Find text
    CTRL-R Replace text
    F3 Repeat search
    F9 Jump to next bookmark
    CTRL-B Insert/Remove Bookmark

    OTHER

    CTRL-Z Undo
    CTRL-SHIFT-Z Redo
    Esc Return to normal mode (turn off selectionmode)
    F1 [ debug - inspect aeditor internals ]

    BUFFERS

    CTRL-O Open File
    CTRL-S Save File
    CTRL-1 Switch to 1st buffer
    CTRL-2 Switch to 2nd buffer
    CTRL-3 Switch to 3rd buffer
    F12 Next Buffer
    SHIFT-F12 Prev Buffer

    VIEW

    F8 Fullscreen / Window mode

    Open Questions
    Q. In which direction should AEditor evolve?
    Q. What features is missing so it fits your needs?
    Q. Whats wrong with AEditor?

    I am very willing to help if you have requests. Thanks.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Simon Strandgaard wrote:

    > Open Questions
    > Q. In which direction should AEditor evolve?

    Oh, it should be the most powerful Ruby IDE of course.

    > Q. What features is missing so it fits your needs?

    The frequently mentioned code-structure tree and a tabs-like front end
    for buffers.

    > I am very willing to help if you have requests. Thanks.

    Thanks for providing something great and for listening to feedback. :)

    Regards,
    Florian Gross

    Florian Gross, Aug 25, 2004

  3. Simon Strandgaard

    T. Onoma Guest

    On Wednesday 25 August 2004 12:00 pm, Simon Strandgaard wrote:
    > Tab           Indent line
    >  SHIFT-Left    Unindent line / Unindent selection
    >  SHIFT-Right   Indent line / Indent selection
    >  SHIFT-Up      Exchange with line above
    >  SHIFT-Down    Exchange with line below

    I want to give her a go, but until I can do this I just cant', my habits are
    at this point just too strong.

    Tab           Indent line / Indent selection
     SHIFT-Tab Unindent line / Unindent selection
    SHIFT-Left    Highlight Selection
     SHIFT-Right   "
     SHIFT-Up      "
     SHIFT-Down    "
    CTRL-C Copy Selection to Buffer
    CTRL-X Cut Selection to Buffer
    CTRL-P Paste Buffer

    Could it be a priority?
    Thanks,
    Tom

    P.S. How does editing Ruby code in aeditor compare too say freeride's IDE?
    I've been thinking about giving it a try too.

    T. Onoma, Aug 25, 2004
  4. Hello T.,

    TO> CTRL-P Paste Buffer

    In which editor do you find this strange key shortcut ?
    Or is it a typo ?

    TO> P.S. How does editing Ruby code in aeditor compare too say freeride's IDE?
    TO> I've been thinking about giving it a try too.

    I think that there aren't so many different ways to edit a text. The
    editor widget is one of the smallest part of an IDE.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 25, 2004
  5. Simon Strandgaard

    T. Onoma Guest

    On Wednesday 25 August 2004 02:29 pm, Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > Hello T.,
    >
    > TO> CTRL-P Paste Buffer
    >
    > In which editor do you find this strange key shortcut ?
    > Or is it a typo ?

    Typo, Ctrl-V. Sorry.

    > TO> P.S. How does editing Ruby code in aeditor compare too say freeride's
    > IDE? TO> I've been thinking about giving it a try too.
    >
    > I think that there aren't so many different ways to edit a text. The
    > editor widget is one of the smallest part of an IDE.

    Good point.
    --
    T.

    T. Onoma, Aug 25, 2004
  6. Florian Gross wrote:
    > Simon Strandgaard wrote:
    >
    >> Open Questions
    >> Q. In which direction should AEditor evolve?

    > Oh, it should be the most powerful Ruby IDE of course.

    I maybe make an attempt to embed aeditor into freeride.
    I don't have any plans to turn the editor into an standalone IDE.
    However I plan to make the configuration file so flexible that
    many ide like features can be used.

    possible hooks:
    * on_help(&block)
    which you can bind to RI, when you are in
    ruby mode.. so that pressing F1 provides help.

    * on_execute(&block)
    which runs the current buffer.

    maybe I make some sort of project manager.. any volunteers for
    this task? ;-)

    >> Q. What features is missing so it fits your needs?

    > The frequently mentioned code-structure tree and a tabs-like front end
    > for buffers.

    tabs showing the open buffer.. agree that would be good

    the code-structure tree in the sidebar is a feature I think
    which belong in the configuration file. Maybe a hook ala

    on_text_change do |context|
    name_position_pairs = extract_positions_via_ripper(context.text)
    context.tree.reload(name_position_pairs)
    end

    Suggestions are welcome.

    >> I am very willing to help if you have requests. Thanks.

    > Thanks for providing something great and for listening to feedback. :)

    Thanks for some good requests.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Aug 25, 2004
  7. T. Onoma wrote:
    [snip]
    > Tab           Indent line / Indent selection
    > SHIFT-Tab Unindent line / Unindent selection
    > SHIFT-Left    Highlight Selection
    > SHIFT-Right   "
    > SHIFT-Up      "
    > SHIFT-Down    "
    > CTRL-C Copy Selection to Buffer
    > CTRL-X Cut Selection to Buffer
    > CTRL-P Paste Buffer
    >
    > Could it be a priority?

    CUA bindings is a priority.. I hope to implement it with the next version.
    Thanks for your request.

    > P.S. How does editing Ruby code in aeditor compare too say freeride's IDE?
    > I've been thinking about giving it a try too.

    I have little experience with FreeRide.. I am that kind of type who avoid
    IDE's.. I think FreeRide is good.. Im just interested in a good editor.
    Two different goals.

    Maybe I embed aeditor into FreeRide.. that could be interesting.
    This thought has been circulating around in my brain for quite some time
    now.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Aug 25, 2004
  8. On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:30:27 +0900, Brett Williams
    <> wrote:

    > This, BTW, is just my two cents. I have nothing but respect for all of
    > the IDE and editor projects. I just don't agree that the editor is "one
    > of the smallest parts" of an IDE.
    >
    > I realize I may not be typical, but on any given day I will probably
    > edit files of all of these types:
    >
    > ruby
    > verilog
    > c++
    > tcl
    > text
    > xml
    > bash
    > makefiles
    >
    > Less frequently, I can add perl, scheme, DEF, LEF, html, C, and Python.
    >
    > I don't want to change editors for all of these tasks. So my editor
    > needs to understand all of them. The editor also needs to be powerful
    > (I can't imagine editing XML with nothing but CUA type operations, for
    > example).

    Well, Eclipse can suit your needs, then. It fits all the editors in
    the same IDE.
    Except for toolbars or key-bindings, it's pretty much transparent
    which editor it is using. Perhaps, the text editor is not "one of the
    smallest" parts of and IDE but it surely needs not to be tied to it.

    Regards,
    Ed

    Edgardo Hames, Aug 30, 2004
  9. Hello Edgardo,

    EH> Well, Eclipse can suit your needs, then. It fits all the editors in
    EH> the same IDE.
    EH> Except for toolbars or key-bindings, it's pretty much transparent
    EH> which editor it is using. Perhaps, the text editor is not "one of the
    EH> smallest" parts of and IDE but it surely needs not to be tied to it.

    Editor != Editor Widget

    I meant the text editing widget is one of the smallest parts (Lines Of
    Code) but one of the most important. Even with a finished AEditor
    widget you are miles away from it.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 30, 2004
  10. On Monday 30 August 2004 20:39, Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > EH> Well, Eclipse can suit your needs, then. It fits all the editors in
    > EH> the same IDE.
    > EH> Except for toolbars or key-bindings, it's pretty much transparent
    > EH> which editor it is using. Perhaps, the text editor is not "one of the
    > EH> smallest" parts of and IDE but it surely needs not to be tied to it.
    >
    > Editor != Editor Widget
    >
    > I meant the text editing widget is one of the smallest parts (Lines Of
    > Code) but one of the most important. Even with a finished AEditor
    > widget you are miles away from it.

    Agree lines of code in AEditor is not impressive.

    It has taken me very long time to reach this point, where I can edit with my
    own editor. The first experimental versions which I wrote in C++ could show
    the text and was very poor at dealing with edit operations..
    It was more an viewer than an editor.

    Even though its few lines of code.. its not something that one can write in a
    weekend. Lots of things must be considered and analysed carefully.
    1) finding an appropriate undo/redo/macro system took quite some time.
    2) figuring out how to support folding took forever.
    3) syntaxcoloring+accelerated scrolling requires careful management of 4
    layers of caching.
    4) editing strategies, such as if the cursor should skip tabs or move through
    tabs, supporing different indentsize and tabsize... (took lots of time).
    5) made regexp engine that can do multiline selection and skip over foldings
    and search through rectangular selections.. and deal with multiple encodings.

    This is just some of the things that has taken _long_ time, even though its
    relative few lines of code.

    I don't like your sentence "One of the smallest parts". I have not insulted
    your IDE.. why Lothar?

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Aug 30, 2004
  11. Hello Simon,

    SS> On Monday 30 August 2004 20:39, Lothar Scholz wrote:
    >> EH> Well, Eclipse can suit your needs, then. It fits all the editors in
    >> EH> the same IDE.
    >> EH> Except for toolbars or key-bindings, it's pretty much transparent
    >> EH> which editor it is using. Perhaps, the text editor is not "one of the
    >> EH> smallest" parts of and IDE but it surely needs not to be tied to it.
    >>
    >> Editor != Editor Widget
    >>
    >> I meant the text editing widget is one of the smallest parts (Lines Of
    >> Code) but one of the most important. Even with a finished AEditor
    >> widget you are miles away from it.

    SS> Agree lines of code in AEditor is not impressive.

    SS> It has taken me very long time to reach this point, where I can edit with my
    SS> own editor. The first experimental versions which I wrote in C++ could show
    SS> the text and was very poor at dealing with edit operations..
    SS> It was more an viewer than an editor.

    SS> Even though its few lines of code.. its not something that one can write in a
    SS> weekend. Lots of things must be considered and analysed carefully.
    SS> 1) finding an appropriate undo/redo/macro system took quite some time.
    SS> 2) figuring out how to support folding took forever.
    SS> 3) syntaxcoloring+accelerated scrolling requires careful management of 4
    SS> layers of caching.
    SS> 4) editing strategies, such as if the cursor should skip tabs or move through
    SS> tabs, supporing different indentsize and tabsize... (took lots of time).
    SS> 5) made regexp engine that can do multiline selection and skip over foldings
    SS> and search through rectangular selections.. and deal with multiple encodings.

    SS> This is just some of the things that has taken _long_ time, even though its
    SS> relative few lines of code.

    SS> I don't like your sentence "One of the smallest parts". I have not insulted
    SS> your IDE.. why Lothar?

    It was just from my 'wc' 9,945 lines of code (at the moment) out of
    total 210,035 lines. Only my diff frontend has less code. Maybe not
    fair because i don't calculate the concrete syntax highlighters as
    'editor' parts only the core highlighting engine and i don't support
    line folding at the moment.

    But you are right it is a lot of work and i guess that nobody can do
    it right the first time.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 30, 2004