[ann] aeditor-2.3 (darkmatter release)

Simon Strandgaard

AEditor is written in 1523 lines of ruby code. It depends on ncursesw and ruby.
When running it consumes about 4 mbytes.

screenshot:
http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/aeditor_shots/055.png

download:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/2851/aeditor-2.3.tar.gz

It supports the following keybindings:

ctrl x ......... quit
ctrl o ......... save buffer
arrow keys ..... move cursor
letters ........ insert text
backspace ...... erase char left of cursor (or selection)
delete ......... erase char right of cursor (or selection)
home ........... move cursor either to linebegin or textbegin
end ............ move cursor to lineend
ctrl left ...... move word left
ctrl right ..... move word right
pageup ......... move a page up
pagedown ....... move a page down
ctrl pageup .... move to top
ctrl pagedown .. move to bottom
F1 ............. insert a fullwidth glyph (〜)
F2 ............. dump statistics to log
F3 ............. search down
shift F3 ....... search up
ctrl u ......... use clipboard data as search pattern
ctrl k k ....... toggle bookmark
ctrl k p ....... goto prev bookmark
ctrl k n ....... goto next bookmark
ctrl f f ....... expand fold
ctrl f 5 ....... collapse 5 lines
ctrl f v ....... convert selection into fold
ctrl v ......... toggle selection mode
ctrl p ......... paste from clipboard

Bill Guindon

It's still pure ruby tho', no?
has anybody gotten this to work under windows?

I've got version 1.9 running here (WinXP), but it does have some
dependencies - fox toolkit, fxruby, and iterator.

Simon, no rpa package for it yet? one in the works?

Simon Strandgaard

It's still pure ruby tho', no?

version 2.3 is no longer pure Ruby, I had to write a ncursesw wrapper.
previously I used ruby-dl to wrap the library, but it consumed too much
memory.

I've got version 1.9 running here (WinXP), but it does have some
dependencies - fox toolkit, fxruby, and iterator.

version 2.x is written entirely from scratch and only depends on
libncursesw and ruby. No dependencies to fox, fxruby and iterator.
So I guess that version 2.x is pretty much restricted to unix (sorry
about that).

version 2.x still need a few features before version 1.9 can be abandoned.
for instance it lacks syntax coloring.

Simon, no rpa package for it yet? one in the works?

previously batsman has been kind to make rpa packages for me.
maybe I should investigate how to make one myself.

btw: where is batsman?

tony summerfelt

version 2.3 is no longer pure Ruby,

i usually try to get my linux/windows setups almost identical (in look
and use for the most part) that way i can switch back and forth
between boxes and everything is the same: email, browsing, and
coding, etc.

there's nothing wrong with writing a linux only application. there's
tons of them out there, but doing it in a cross-platform language
hurts a bit
http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

Simon Strandgaard

i usually try to get my linux/windows setups almost identical (in look
and use for the most part) that way i can switch back and forth
between boxes and everything is the same: email, browsing, and
coding, etc.

there's nothing wrong with writing a linux only application. there's
tons of them out there, but doing it in a cross-platform language
hurts a bit

I am terrible sorry. I want to make aeditor crossplatform.

aeditor 0.x was only for ncurses.. a tui interface.
aeditor 1.x was only for fox.. a gui interface.

I want aeditor 2.x to become both tui and gui.
but right now its only for ncursesw (notice the w suffix.. it means
widechar support).

Im right now working on importing my old syntax coloring code
from aeditor 1.x into aeditor 2.x. Hopefully I can accomplish this
before this weekend ends.

Then I can look into what it will take to get it running
on windows. However I cannot compile binaries for windows,
so if anyone knows how to do this.. please contact me :)