[ann] aeditor-2.3 (darkmatter release)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Simon Strandgaard, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. AEditor is written in 1523 lines of ruby code. It depends on ncursesw and ruby.
    When running it consumes about 4 mbytes.

    screenshot:
    http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/aeditor_shots/055.png

    download:
    http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/2851/aeditor-2.3.tar.gz

    It supports the following keybindings:

    ctrl x ......... quit
    ctrl o ......... save buffer
    arrow keys ..... move cursor
    letters ........ insert text
    backspace ...... erase char left of cursor (or selection)
    delete ......... erase char right of cursor (or selection)
    home ........... move cursor either to linebegin or textbegin
    end ............ move cursor to lineend
    ctrl left ...... move word left
    ctrl right ..... move word right
    pageup ......... move a page up
    pagedown ....... move a page down
    ctrl pageup .... move to top
    ctrl pagedown .. move to bottom
    F1 ............. insert a fullwidth glyph (〜)
    F2 ............. dump statistics to log
    F3 ............. search down
    shift F3 ....... search up
    ctrl u ......... use clipboard data as search pattern
    ctrl k k ....... toggle bookmark
    ctrl k p ....... goto prev bookmark
    ctrl k n ....... goto next bookmark
    ctrl f f ....... expand fold
    ctrl f 5 ....... collapse 5 lines
    ctrl f v ....... convert selection into fold
    ctrl v ......... toggle selection mode
    ctrl p ......... paste from clipboard

    --
    Simon Strandgaard
    Simon Strandgaard, Feb 2, 2005

  2. tony summerfelt, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Re: aeditor-2.3

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 04:18:47 +0900, tony summerfelt
    <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:43:23 +0900, you wrote:
    >
    > >http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/2851/aeditor-2.3.tar.gz

    > is there a windows binary for this?

    Im sorry, there is no binary for windows. Im developing on linux.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard
    Simon Strandgaard, Feb 3, 2005
  4. tony summerfelt, Feb 4, 2005
  5. Simon Strandgaard

    Bill Guindon Guest

    Re: aeditor-2.3

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:22:29 +0900, tony summerfelt
    <> wrote:

    > >> is there a windows binary for this?

    > >Im sorry, there is no binary for windows. Im developing on linux.

    It's still pure ruby tho', no?

    > has anybody gotten this to work under windows?

    I've got version 1.9 running here (WinXP), but it does have some
    dependencies - fox toolkit, fxruby, and iterator.

    Simon, no rpa package for it yet? one in the works?

    --
    Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
    Bill Guindon, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Re: aeditor-2.3

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:23:39 +0900, Bill Guindon <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:22:29 +0900, tony summerfelt
    > <> wrote:

    > > >Im sorry, there is no binary for windows. Im developing on linux.

    > It's still pure ruby tho', no?

    version 2.3 is no longer pure Ruby, I had to write a ncursesw wrapper.
    previously I used ruby-dl to wrap the library, but it consumed too much
    memory.

    > > has anybody gotten this to work under windows?

    > I've got version 1.9 running here (WinXP), but it does have some
    > dependencies - fox toolkit, fxruby, and iterator.

    version 2.x is written entirely from scratch and only depends on
    libncursesw and ruby. No dependencies to fox, fxruby and iterator.
    So I guess that version 2.x is pretty much restricted to unix (sorry
    about that).

    version 2.x still need a few features before version 1.9 can be abandoned.
    for instance it lacks syntax coloring.

    > Simon, no rpa package for it yet? one in the works?

    previously batsman has been kind to make rpa packages for me.
    maybe I should investigate how to make one myself.

    btw: where is batsman?

    --
    Simon Strandgaard
    Simon Strandgaard, Feb 4, 2005
  7. Re: aeditor-2.3

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:09:42 +0900, you wrote:

    >> It's still pure ruby tho', no?

    >version 2.3 is no longer pure Ruby,

    i usually try to get my linux/windows setups almost identical (in look
    and use for the most part) that way i can switch back and forth
    between boxes and everything is the same: email, browsing, and
    coding, etc.

    there's nothing wrong with writing a linux only application. there's
    tons of them out there, but doing it in a cross-platform language
    hurts a bit
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
    telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org
    tony summerfelt, Feb 4, 2005
  8. Re: aeditor-2.3

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:47:25 +0900, tony summerfelt
    <> wrote:

    > >> It's still pure ruby tho', no?

    > >version 2.3 is no longer pure Ruby,

    > i usually try to get my linux/windows setups almost identical (in look
    > and use for the most part) that way i can switch back and forth
    > between boxes and everything is the same: email, browsing, and
    > coding, etc.
    >
    > there's nothing wrong with writing a linux only application. there's
    > tons of them out there, but doing it in a cross-platform language
    > hurts a bit

    I am terrible sorry. I want to make aeditor crossplatform.

    aeditor 0.x was only for ncurses.. a tui interface.
    aeditor 1.x was only for fox.. a gui interface.

    I want aeditor 2.x to become both tui and gui.
    but right now its only for ncursesw (notice the w suffix.. it means
    widechar support).

    Im right now working on importing my old syntax coloring code
    from aeditor 1.x into aeditor 2.x. Hopefully I can accomplish this
    before this weekend ends.

    Then I can look into what it will take to get it running
    on windows. However I cannot compile binaries for windows,
    so if anyone knows how to do this.. please contact me :)

    --
    Simon Strandgaard
    Simon Strandgaard, Feb 4, 2005
  9. Simon Strandgaard

    Tim Ferrell Guest

    Re: aeditor-2.3

    This link explains how to cross-compile for Windows from Linux...

    http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/mingw-cross-howto.txt

    HTH,
    Tim

    Tim Ferrell, Feb 4, 2005
  10. Simon Strandgaard, Feb 4, 2005
  11. Re: aeditor-2.3

    > Im right now working on importing my old syntax coloring code
    > from aeditor 1.x into aeditor 2.x. Hopefully I can accomplish this
    > before this weekend ends.

    Just tonight I have gotton initial syntax coloring working..

    screenshot
    http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/aeditor_shots/056.png

    now I soon can integrate the ruby debugger in my editor.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard
    Simon Strandgaard, Feb 4, 2005