[ANN] Agile Web Developement with Rails in Italian

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Mc Osten, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. Mc Osten

    Mc Osten Guest

    I have recently seen the italian version of "Agile Web Developement with
    Rails" in bookstores. It's italian title is "Sviluppare applicazioni Web
    con Rails" (unfortunately the "agile" part got lost).

    This is as far as I know the first book in italian that talks about Ruby
    (well, not really "Ruby", but at least about something closely related,
    and probably someone who gets in touch with Rails will also learn Ruby).

    Even if I do not really like Italian books (I just can't stand
    tranlation mistakes, poor editions -- compared with some US ones ), I
    decided to buy it.

    I put aside my projudices and bought the italian edition since I think
    it is good to show editors that they can earn money even with "not
    mainstream technologies" (where in Italy mainstream means
    PHP|Java|.Net|MS in general, and recently "Linux" "CSS" and "MacOS" --
    but no Cocoa, for example ).

    We have a couple of books about Python (and one is very old, dating back
    to Python 2.1) and this one. Of course things like Haskell do not even
    exist.
    In fact as many people began buying books on MacOS, more books got
    translated: I hope the very same thing can happen for Ruby or Python.

    Unfortunately a lot of people in my country do not read english books. A
    technology that is not covered by some book in italian is quite often
    ignored: that is why I salute with joy this new book.
    Mc Osten, Mar 12, 2006

  2. Mc Osten wrote:
    > I have recently seen the italian version of "Agile Web Developement with
    > Rails" in bookstores. It's italian title is "Sviluppare applicazioni Web
    > con Rails" (unfortunately the "agile" part got lost).

    Yes, I saw that on http://www.libreriauniversitaria.it and was surprised
    at how quickly it came out in Italian.

    > This is as far as I know the first book in italian that talks about Ruby
    > (well, not really "Ruby", but at least about something closely related,
    > and probably someone who gets in touch with Rails will also learn Ruby).

    I think Ruby's getting a lot of traction here in Italy... in Padova, a
    few guys from the Java Users Group formed a Ruby Users Group:)

    > Even if I do not really like Italian books (I just can't stand
    > tranlation mistakes, poor editions -- compared with some US ones ), I
    > decided to buy it.

    Do you know who did the translation? Some of the guys at Hoepli do
    pretty good work.

    > Unfortunately a lot of people in my country do not read english books. A
    > technology that is not covered by some book in italian is quite often
    > ignored: that is why I salute with joy this new book.

    Yes, hopefully it will make Rails more 'boss friendly' here, although
    that will make it less of a competitive advantage for those who 'get it':)

    --
    David N. Welton
    - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

    Linux, Open Source Consulting
    - http://www.dedasys.com/
    David N. Welton, Mar 12, 2006

  3. Mc Osten

    Mc Osten Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:13:47 +0100, David N. Welton wrote:

    > Yes, I saw that on http://www.libreriauniversitaria.it and was surprised
    > at how quickly it came out in Italian.

    Well, I'm quite happy about it...

    > I think Ruby's getting a lot of traction here in Italy... in Padova, a
    > few guys from the Java Users Group formed a Ruby Users Group:)

    And this is good. Python is not really widespread (even if our Alex
    Martelli is one of the most known pythonists), but is growing. In my city
    there are a couple of software houses that are using Python (and a couple
    of friends *work* with it).

    Here it is Java-PHP-VB. Sigh. But I'm happy some Javaists got interested
    with ruby. How can I partecipate with this RUG? It's official? Is there a
    mailing list?

    I was thinking about doing kind of a ruby.it, but I told... it's better
    someone else does it, I'm not a really experienced ruby programmer. Still
    I'd like to partecipate.

    > Do you know who did the translation? Some of the guys at Hoepli do
    > pretty good work.

    I own the book :)
    Inside I read:

    Traduzione:
    Georges Piriou,
    Marco Triplini

    In fact there are also some modifications in respect with the english
    version. Where appropriate there are "Translator notes" (Rails is really
    "english" based)

    > Yes, hopefully it will make Rails more 'boss friendly' here, although
    > that will make it less of a competitive advantage for those who 'get it':)

    Yes. But until hostings won't offer ruby, I'm afraid will go on with PHP
    (and that is bad).

    --
    USB Priests for only 10$
    Mc Osten, Mar 12, 2006
  4. Mc Osten

    Pit Capitain Guest

    Mc Osten schrieb:
    > Yes. But until hostings won't offer ruby, I'm afraid will go on with PHP
    > (and that is bad).

    I know that unbit.it supports Rails.

    Regards,
    Pit
    Pit Capitain, Mar 12, 2006
  5. Anyone know of some other Italian websites in general or companies
    (development firms, bookstores, etc) that either use Rails or offer it as a
    service of some sort?

    Kind regards,
    Nathan.

    Nathaniel S. H. Brown http://nshb.net

    Nathaniel S. H. Brown, Mar 12, 2006
  6. Mc Osten

    Guest

    Re: Agile Web Developement with Rails in Italian

    I know this probably won't answer your question, but here's the page
    for an italian RUG. There doesn't seem to be much content in their wiki
    as yet, but it does seem active. Certainly someone here should know:
    http://ruby-it.org/

    -----Jay Anderson
    , Mar 12, 2006

    http://groups.google.com/group/rugpadova

    > Yes. But until hostings won't offer ruby, I'm afraid will go on with PHP
    > (and that is bad).

    Searching for 'rails hosting' finds quite a few. If you don't mind that
    little extra bit of latency, hosting in the states is a pretty good deal
    because of the relatively weak dollar. I'll be honest in that I think
    the service is, on the whole, better than in Italy too, but that's a
    tough problem in any country[1].

    Saluti,
    --

    [1] http://www.dedasys.com/articles/webhosting_market_lemons.html
    David N. Welton, Mar 12, 2006
  8. Mc Osten

    Mc Osten Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:28:07 +0900, Pit Capitain wrote:

    > I know that unbit.it supports Rails.

    site5 too (and I have an hosting with them). But PHP is more widespread...
    that's what I was saying.

    So many people who want a cheap hosting...

    --
    USB Priests for only 10$
    Mc Osten, Mar 12, 2006
  9. Mc Osten

    Mc Osten Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:34:32 +0100, David N. Welton wrote:

    > Searching for 'rails hosting' finds quite a few. If you don't mind that
    > little extra bit of latency, hosting in the states is a pretty good deal
    > because of the relatively weak dollar. I'll be honest in that I think
    > the service is, on the whole, better than in Italy too, but that's a
    > tough problem in any country[1].

    Well, I quite said something when I meant something else. That is to say..
    I know there are some rails hosting (i've got one and it is really
    excellent, but excellence costs).

    I have not seen "cheap" or free hostings offering rails. For example Aruba
    or Altervista (a couple of names quite known in Italy).
    That was I meant. And if Ruby spreads, cheap hostings will support Rails
    too, I hope.

    --
    USB Priests for only 10$
    Mc Osten, Mar 12, 2006
  10. Mc Osten ha scritto:
    > So many people who want a cheap hosting...

    and they get a cheap service...

    anyway, can you post a rewiev? if is it worth buying it?

    --
    ()_() | NN KAPISCO XK' CELLHAVETE T'ANNTO CN ME SL | +----
    (o.o) | XK' SKRIVO 1 P'HO VELLOCE MA HALL'ORA DITTELO | +---+
    Raffaele Salmaso, Mar 13, 2006
  11. Mc Osten

    ngw Guest

    -Nathaniel S. H. Brown <>:
    > Anyone know of some other Italian websites in general or companies
    > (development firms, bookstores, etc) that either use Rails or offer it as a
    > service of some sort?

    http://tomato.it and http://unbit.it use Rails.

    HTH,
    ngw
    ngw, Mar 13, 2006
  12. Mc Osten

    Mc Osten Guest

    Raffaele Salmaso ha scritto:

    > anyway, can you post a rewiev? if is it worth buying it?

    The Rails book? Definitively it's worth buying. Well, if you already
    have the english version you probably don't need the italian one too.

    Still if you want to get a book on rails, you can try this one.

    Since it's just a translation, you can read a review on the original
    one, and it applies to this book too.
    I found it really interesting, even if some "new" rails evolutions
    (migrations) are not covered.
    Mc Osten, Mar 13, 2006
  13. Mc Osten ha scritto:

    > Here it is Java-PHP-VB. Sigh. But I'm happy some Javaists got interested
    > with ruby. How can I partecipate with this RUG? It's official? Is there a
    > mailing list?
    >
    > I was thinking about doing kind of a ruby.it, but I told... it's better
    > someone else does it, I'm not a really experienced ruby programmer. Still
    > I'd like to partecipate.

    well, an italian ruby community[1] existed for a while (since 2003 IIRC)
    and now there is a rails realted one[2]

    BTW, if you're near Rome we're probably going to have the second "real
    life meeting" of rubyist around the Urbe this week (probably).

    [1] http://ruby-it.org
    [2] http://rails.it
    gabriele renzi, Mar 13, 2006
  14. Nathaniel S. H. Brown ha scritto:
    > Anyone know of some other Italian websites in general or companies
    > (development firms, bookstores, etc) that either use Rails or offer it as a
    > service of some sort?

    I'm not sure what you mean by "offer it as a service" but I can tell you
    there are quite a bit of companies working with rubyonrails, I could
    post a list of the ones I know but I think you can better found them by
    yourself via google :)
    gabriele renzi, Mar 13, 2006
  15. Mc Osten

    Mc Osten Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:07:54 GMT, gabriele renzi wrote:

    > BTW, if you're near Rome we're probably going to have the second "real
    > life meeting" of rubyist around the Urbe this week (probably).

    Unfortunately I live quite far from it. :(

    --
    USB Priests for only 10$
    Mc Osten, Mar 13, 2006