ANN: An XML format for block designs

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peter Dobcsanyi, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. A standard format for block designs and their properties

    (A proposal and an invitation for public debate)

    At DesignTheory.org we are developing a web-based Design Theory Resource
    Server for combinatorial and statistical design theory. These resources
    will include an online database of designs, an Encyclopaedia of Design
    Theory, and software packages for the generation and analysis of
    designs. We hope to address the needs of both researchers and
    practitioners of design theory.

    One critical element is our XML format to represent designs and their
    properties in a standard platform-independent manner. This will allow
    for the straightforward exchange of designs and their properties between
    various computer systems, including databases and web servers, and
    combinatorial, group theoretical and statistical packages. The XML
    format will also be used for outside submissions to our design database
    and to store designs in perpetuity.

    Our initial development is in the area of block designs, and we invite
    you to read and comment on our proposal for the External Representation
    of Block Designs, available online at:

    http://designtheory.org/

    Please send your comments (and follow-ups) exclusively to:

    This is a mailing list to which you are welcome, although not required,
    to join. Alternatively, you can follow the discussions through the
    public archives of the list. For further details, please visit:

    http://designtheory.org/mailing.html

    We will finalize the XML format for block designs after sufficient
    public debate, after which we shall release GAP [1], R [2], and Python
    [3] software for block designs. We are committed to the open source
    model and all products of our development will be released to the public
    free of charge.

    We shall also start developing a database of block designs, and look
    forward to your contributions (in the XML format) to this database.

    Please feel free to forward this announcement to anyone you think may be
    interested.