[ANN] Arachno Ruby IDE 0.5.5 for Linux

basi

hi,
one potentially dumb question: how do i compile or run ruby scripts
inside jedit. i've gone through all the menus but i can't find the
usual options like Run, Go, Compile, Debug, etc.
thanks,
bi

Rob .

hi,
one potentially dumb question: how do i compile or run ruby scripts
inside jedit. i've gone through all the menus but i can't find the
usual options like Run, Go, Compile, Debug, etc.
thanks,
bi

I haven't implemented those features in the Ruby Editor Plugin for
jEdit yet. The plugin is still quite a new work in progress. Most of
the last two weeks I've spent implementing method auto-completion, as
that was the feature that appeared most in demand based on the
feedback I've received so far.

If anyone is interested in helping out developing a Ruby debugger
feature for jEdit please give me a shout. The plugin is written in
Java and is free software released under the GPL.

By the way, Ruby doesn't need to be compiled to be run. Bi, for now
you can run scripts from the comand line: ruby code.rb

Cheers,
Rob

http://www.jedit.org/ruby/

Jay Levitt

rob.02004 said:
Jay, what jEdit quirks are causing you problems? I'm working on the
next release of the Ruby Editor Plugin for jEdit, which along with
method auto-completion for the core Ruby types, will also fix some
quirks in the plugin's parsing of Ruby code.

If you let me know your problems I might be able to get a fix into the
next release if they're related to the plugin.

Nope, not plugin-related at all - I actually haven't been able to really
sit down and code Ruby yet outside the tutorial. But I've started using
jEdit for editing Perl, PHP, HTML stuff, and I keep running into things.

A bunch turned out to be just defaults I didn't like (like the "smart
home" key binding which I removed, or the lack of TAB binding to
reindent). Some are outright bugs, like the seemingly-intentional
unsupport for page-at-a-time wheel scrolling (tracker #1189908), or the
fact that comment-blocks don't work in Perl mode. And a bunch are just
poor UI choices, like double-clicking closing a tab, or the inability to
memorize passwords, or the odd way that you have to escape from
incremental-search mode, or the lack of modifier-free keyboard shortcuts
in Yes/No dialog boxes, or the inability to rename buffers, or the lack
of indenting in HTML mode, or, or, etc.

It's almost as quirky as xemacs, though in very different and less
fundamental ways, and certainly Java will be easier for me to learn and
fix than LISP was. I'm sure I can hack and plugin jEdit to where it
functions as I want it; it's just a shame that it's not cleaner by now.
Eclipse looks (at first blush) to be much nicer, but the whole
"project" model is incredibly intrusive when all I want to do is edit a
file remotely, so it looks like jEdit will stay as my default choice for
now.

Jay Levitt

Was just confused that we have SFTP (simple file transfer), TFTP
(trivial file transfer), FTP (file transfer) and SFTP (secure file
transfer). But don't we all love acronyms ?

I have actually seen network admins insist that SFTP access was
available: "I opened port 115 in the firewall. Of course we have SFTP."

Jay Levitt

Is there really such
thing as simple file transfer? Even more confusingly, if memory serves me
right, sftp (as in openssh) actually isn't anything like ftp (RFC 959, the
one at port 20/21) at all.

SFTP (Simple File Transfer) is, IIRC, either a precursor or an
alternative to FTP, in much the same way that SMTP was an alternative to
some other mail transfer protocol long since lost to time (maybe X.400).
Nobody uses *that* SFTP anymore, but its name still lives on in
/etc/services.

Secure FTP is, in fact, unrelated to FTP; it uses SSH, and then you get
directory listings with ls, copy files with scp, etc.