[ANN] B1.03 of Programming Ruby now available

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dave Thomas, Jan 10, 2008.

  1. Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas Guest

    I'll keep it brief :)

    * Updated through the end of "Ruby in its Setting".
    * Includes a new chapter on Ruby 1.9's character encoding support.
    * removed libraries no longer in 1.9
    * Chapter One lists the major changes this release.

    Existing owners update from your account page at http://pragprog.com/my_account
    (create an account if you don't already have one--creating an order
    doesn't automatically create an account).

    More details at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

    Cheers

    Dave
    Dave Thomas, Jan 10, 2008

  2. Dave Thomas

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:
    > More details at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

    Laziness request: can the gerbils spit out a more descriptive
    PDF filename? Especially, helpful would be one with the current
    version tacked on the end, e.g., ProgrammingRuby3e-b1.03.pdf
    instead of the same ruby3-p-00.pdf each time.

    Regards,
    --
    Bil Kleb
    http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov
    Bil Kleb, Jan 11, 2008

  3. Bil Kleb wrote:
    > Dave Thomas wrote:
    >> More details at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

    > Laziness request: can the gerbils spit out a more descriptive
    > PDF filename? Especially, helpful would be one with the current
    > version tacked on the end, e.g., ProgrammingRuby3e-b1.03.pdf
    > instead of the same ruby3-p-00.pdf each time.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Bil Kleb
    > http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

    Sheesh ... isn't it enough the gerbils are porting all their gerbil gems
    to Ruby 1.9? :)
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 11, 2008
  4. Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Jan 10, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:

    > Laziness request: can the gerbils spit out a more descriptive
    > PDF filename? Especially, helpful would be one with the current
    > version tacked on the end, e.g., ProgrammingRuby3e-b1.03.pdf
    > instead of the same ruby3-p-00.pdf each time.

    Bil:

    Cool idea to add the version number in. My only problem is working out
    how not to invalidate the currently generated PDF names. Let me mull
    it over.

    Dave
    Dave Thomas, Jan 11, 2008
  5. On 1/10/08, Bil Kleb <> wrote:
    > Dave Thomas wrote:
    > > More details at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

    > Laziness request: can the gerbils spit out a more descriptive
    > PDF filename? Especially, helpful would be one with the current
    > version tacked on the end, e.g., ProgrammingRuby3e-b1.03.pdf
    > instead of the same ruby3-p-00.pdf each time.

    A packrat are you Bil? <G>

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
    Rick DeNatale, Jan 11, 2008
  6. Dave Thomas

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Rick DeNatale wrote:

    > A packrat are you Bil? <G>

    Guilty, but only one level deep.

    Say I read part way through b1.01, then b1.02 comes out. I need
    to save the previous for a comparison of what's changed since last
    time and to find my new starting point.

    Regards,
    --
    Bil Kleb