ANN: BayPIGgies meeting for Thursday, November 13, 2003

Discussion in 'Python' started by Daniel Yoo, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Daniel Yoo

    Daniel Yoo Guest

    When: Thursday, November 13, 2003
    Where: Carnegie Institute of Washington
    at Stanford University; Palo Alto
    Agenda: What's new in Python? Not your usual list of new features
    Speaker: Guido van Rossum

    Python is an OO programming language that is usable for pedestrian
    tasks typically called "scripting", as well as for the construction of
    highly advanced class libraries. The latest versions, Python 2.2 and
    2.3, have added significant power to Python's competence in the latter
    area, primarily through the introduction of two new concepts:
    iterators (a generalization of for loops) and descriptors (a
    generalization of customizable attributes).

    In this talk I will present the principles and some examples of these
    additions, and show how they are useful for lowly scripting tasks as
    well as for advanced class library authors. I encourage audience
    participation and will be available for questions afterwards.

    For driving directions to Carnegie, as well as information about
    BayPIGgies, please visit:

    http://www.baypiggies.net

    Daniel Yoo, Nov 2, 2003