ANN: BayPIGgies meeting for Thursday, November 13, 2003

Daniel Yoo

When: Thursday, November 13, 2003
Where: Carnegie Institute of Washington
at Stanford University; Palo Alto
Agenda: What's new in Python? Not your usual list of new features
Speaker: Guido van Rossum

Python is an OO programming language that is usable for pedestrian
tasks typically called "scripting", as well as for the construction of
highly advanced class libraries. The latest versions, Python 2.2 and
2.3, have added significant power to Python's competence in the latter
area, primarily through the introduction of two new concepts:
iterators (a generalization of for loops) and descriptors (a
generalization of customizable attributes).

In this talk I will present the principles and some examples of these
additions, and show how they are useful for lowly scripting tasks as
well as for advanced class library authors. I encourage audience
participation and will be available for questions afterwards.

For driving directions to Carnegie, as well as information about
BayPIGgies, please visit:

http://www.baypiggies.net