    --
    Magnus Lie Hetland "Preparing to stand by."
    http://hetland.org -- Microsoft Windows

    Magnus Lie Hetland, Oct 19, 2005

  2. On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:11:14 +0000 (UTC), (Magnus
    Lie Hetland) declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

    > I guess it has actually been out for a while -- I just haven't
    > received my copies yet... Anyways: My book, "Beginning Python: From
    > Novice to Professional" (Apress, 2005) is now out. It is an expanded
    > and revised version of "Practical Python" (Apress, 2002). More

    Must be printed on thinner paper... Both run around 600 pages, but
    the older book is a third thicker... <G>

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Oct 19, 2005

  3. Magnus Lie Hetland

    Guest

    I found this book at my local Border's this week. It appears to be a
    most excellent book. I own and have read Magnus' earlier book "Pactical
    Python" (which was excellent) but this one is even better. The first
    half of the book covers the language, and then the second half goes
    into depth developing several practical applications. And of course now
    the book is very up to date. While I obviously have not had time to
    really study this book, I believe that anyone looking for an
    introduction to Python would be very hard pressed to find a better
    choice than this book.

    Ron Stephens
    Python411 podcast sereis
    http://www.awaretek.com/python/index.html

    , Oct 20, 2005
  4. In article <>, Dennis Lee
    Bieber wrote:
    [snip]

    > Must be printed on thinner paper... Both run around 600 pages, but
    > the older book is a third thicker... <G>

    Heh. Yeah. The new book has more material, too (new chapters, among
    other things), so I guess the new layout also has an effect.

    Magnus Lie Hetland, Oct 21, 2005
  5. Magnus Lie Hetland

    Kent Johnson Guest

    Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
    > I guess it has actually been out for a while -- I just haven't
    > received my copies yet... Anyways: My book, "Beginning Python: From
    > Novice to Professional" (Apress, 2005) is now out.

    Apress is offering a $10 rebate if you purchase the book before October 30. See for example
    http://www.bookpool.com/sm/159059519X

    Kent

    Kent Johnson, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Magnus Lie Hetland

    Jaime Wyant Guest

    Also, if any of you guys aren't listening to Ron's Python411 podcast,
    you're missing out on a quality podcast about Python. While not
    necessarily `hardcore python' material, Ron does touch on various
    things happening in the community along with discussion about nifty
    python packages / modules that you may have missed.

    Its one of my favorite podcasts. Great job Ron!

    jw

    Jaime Wyant, Oct 21, 2005
  7. On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:54:43 -0400, Kent Johnson <>

    > Apress is offering a $10 rebate if you purchase the book before October 30. See for example
    > http://www.bookpool.com/sm/159059519X

    Well, the fine print does have a problem... Those of us who didn't
    buy it from that web-site don't qualify...

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Oct 21, 2005