ANN: BlackAdder V1.0.0

Discussion in 'Python' started by BadJake, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. BadJake

    BadJake Guest

    BlackAdder is an application development environment that allows
    professional and hobbyist programmers alike to produce complex applications
    for the Windows and Linux platforms.
    BlackAdder brings together the Python programming language, the Qt
    graphical user interface (GUI) toolkit, ODBC database connectivity and an
    Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that includes an editor, a GUI
    designer, a debugger and an interactive Python interpreter. BlackAdder
    gives the programmer, in a single package, all they need to develop
    sophisticated applications.
    Key Features
    A complete cross-platform Integrated Development Environment for developing
    GUI applications in Python. You don't need anything else.
    Applications run unchanged under Windows and Linux. Protect your investment
    in your development.
    Personal and Business Editions. The Business Edition includes optional
    support and the rights to distribute the run-time elements with your
    application at no extra charge.
    A limited functionality, freely available demonstration version can be
    downloaded from http://www.totalrekall.co.uk or http://www.rygannon.com
    Detailed Features
    Organises your Python and Ruby scripts and GUI designs into easy to manage
    projects.
    An editor that includes highlighting of Python keywords, code folding,
    automatic indentation, and user configurable fonts and colors.
    An interactive Python interpreter (v2.2.x) that allows you to execute any
    Python commands while your application is running.
    The Professional version of the Qt GUI toolkit (v3.x) including:
    the Canvas module
    the Table module
    the Database module
    QSocket, QServerSocket, and Qhost Address classes from the Network module.
    A GUI designer with all the features of Qt Designer and generates Python
    code.
    A debugger that supports single stepping and breakpoints and the display of
    local and global objects in any active Python or Ruby frame.
    ODBC database connectivity (using mxODBC v2.0, see
    <http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC.html>).
    10mb of PyQt documentation with lots of examples and two tutorials, this is
    also available as a stand alone product called PyDoc
    All that in a fully integrated IDE environment.
    Personal Edition Features
    For home use.
    Includes Windows and Linux versions.
    Optional subscription service to receive updates.
    Informal mailing list support.
    Business Edition Features
    For commercial use.
    Includes Windows and Linux versions.
    Optional subscription service to receive updates.
    Optional formal email support.
    Includes the rights to distribute the run-time elements (except mxODBC) with
    your application.
    BlackAdder Developer Network
    The optional subscription service called BlackAdder Developer Network
    provides you with up to 4 annual updates of your BlackAdder version. Stay up
    to date with the latest updates and improvements with the Developer Network,
    available in packages for personal and business use.
    Requirements
    BlackAdder requires Python version 2.2.x.
    Pricing and Availability
    BlackAdder Personal
    Full Version: $79.99
    Black Adder Developer Network Personal: $59.99 per year ($39.99 if purchased
    during the Beta period)
    BlackAdder Business
    Full Version: $399.99
    Black Adder Developer Network Business: $299.99 per year ($199.99 if
    purchased during the Beta period

    BadJake, Aug 24, 2003

  2. Re: BlackAdder V1.0.0

    Seems it's time to try to get eric running .....

    Kindly
    Michael P

    Michael Peuser, Aug 24, 2003

  3. BadJake

    Van Gale Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:44:31 +0000, BadJake wrote:

    > Key Features
    > A GUI designer with all the features of Qt Designer and generates Python
    > code.

    Does this mean the BlackAdder GUI designer can now design other types
    interfaces than dialog boxes? Or is Qt Designer + pygui (err.. I forget the
    program name exactly) are still required for that?

    Van Gale

    Van Gale, Aug 24, 2003
  4. BadJake

    BadJake Guest

    Hi
    The name of the program you are looking for is PyQt
    And yes, using BlackAdder + PyQt you can design full applications. Qt
    Designer only produces a code skelton, so you have to add the feature and
    functionality you need.
    Why not download the demo and run through the tutorials

    Best Regards
    John

    BadJake, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Will Stuyvesant wrote:
    >>[BadJake]

    > You usenet posting did look bad to me. It looked like a mess:
    > amateuristic.

    Looked like a copy-and-paste from some web page into an ASCII editor to
    me. Which of course doesn't make it any better.

    > If you want to sell things, you should make even ascii-based postings
    > look professionally. And don't mention prices in this newsgroup,
    > give a URI.

    Furthermore, I'd excpect an email address with a connection to the
    company that offers the product, something like
    , or something like that.
    Not some random BadJake with a completely different email address ;-)

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Aug 25, 2003
  6. BadJake

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Gerhard Häring:

    > Furthermore, I'd excpect an email address with a connection to the
    > company that offers the product, something like
    > , or something like that.
    > Not some random BadJake with a completely different email address ;-)

    I'm interested in what has happened here. Have theKompany sold BlackAdder
    to John or has he just taken over selling it? The web site of theKompany
    still talks about BlackAdder being beta.

    Neil

    Neil Hodgson, Aug 25, 2003
  7. Neil Hodgson wrote:
    > Gerhard Häring:
    >
    >>Furthermore, I'd excpect an email address with a connection to the
    >>company that offers the product, something like
    >>, or something like that.
    >>Not some random BadJake with a completely different email address ;-)

    > I'm interested in what has happened here. [...]

    I've written to and recommended they publicly
    clarify the issue.

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Aug 25, 2003
  8. BadJake

    John J. Lee Guest

    "BadJake" <> writes:

    > The name of the program you are looking for is PyQt

    [...]

    I think he was thinking of pyuic, actually.

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 25, 2003
  9. BadJake

    Shawn Gordon Guest

    Gerhard Häring <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Neil Hodgson wrote:
    > > Gerhard H ring:
    > >
    > >>Furthermore, I'd excpect an email address with a connection to the
    > >>company that offers the product, something like
    > >>, or something like that.
    > >>Not some random BadJake with a completely different email address ;-)

    > > I'm interested in what has happened here. [...]

    > I've written to and recommended they publicly
    > clarify the issue.
    >
    > -- Gerhard

    John works for us, but BlackAdder isn't the product he works on, and
    he had misunderstood internally that when we put out the release
    candidate recently that it was the 1.0, the 1.0 will be out in the
    next week to 10 days. We had just hired a marketing person last week
    as well and there is some further internal confusion as to pointing
    things out to her and just doing it. So I'm sorry for any confusion
    that might have arisen, you can write to if you
    are interested in any information, also if you were to purchase
    BlackAdder now, you would get it for the discounted beta price and
    then get 1.0 when it is released as part of your purchase (no further
    cost), since we are getting very close to that 1.0, the window is
    short to enjoy that discount.

    Again, sorry for any trouble or confusion that might have been caused.

    Shawn Gordon
    President
    theKompany.com

    Shawn Gordon, Aug 25, 2003
  10. > [Shawn Gordon]
    > ...We had just hired a marketing person last week
    > (tries to sell something again)

    You need a better marketing person. No, sorry, my price has just gone up.

    --
    We have not, however, passed out of the Net's magic period. It's still more
    potent to say, of some bit of information, "I found it on the Internet," than

    Will Stuyvesant, Aug 25, 2003
  11. "BadJake" <> wrote in message news:<3f48a498$3$219$>...

    > A limited functionality, freely available demonstration version can be
    > downloaded from http://www.totalrekall.co.uk or http://www.rygannon.com
    > Detailed Features

    I found the previous demo releases to complicated to install (lots of
    libs that i must get from somewhere els) and to restricted. Hope you
    (theKompany) learned from this.

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 25, 2003
  12. BadJake

    BadJake Guest

    UK and European sales are being handled by myself and US and the Rest of the
    World is handled by theKompany.com
    There is nothing untoward happening here it is just a resellers agreement.
    If you go to the CCart menu item and make a purchase via PayPal, the money
    goes into theKompany.com account. This way I get my resellers commission. If
    I was to link to theKompany.com BA page I would get nothing

    Regards
    John

    BadJake, Aug 25, 2003
  13. Nick Vargish <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "BadJake" <> writes:
    >
    > > This way I get my resellers commission.

    > Ah, greed.

    Let me guess you have never ever were responsible for selling
    something and make a living with it. Most vendors have a reseller
    program because it is as hard work as writting the software.

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 27, 2003
  14. BadJake

    BadJake Guest

    Hi

    I think I should clear up this misunderstanding. Firstly, I work for
    theKompany.com. I do not work on BA, but the project I do work on, Rekall,
    would be nothing but "yet_another_database_client_frontend" without Python.
    The idea of me becoming a reseller came from Shawn Gordon himself. I don't
    actually make any extra money, since the PayPal account used on rygannon.com
    is actually theKompany.com's PayPal account. The reason for dividing sales
    between theKompany.com and Rygannon.com is to reduce Shawn's work load, so
    that he can concentate more on maketing and promotion of theKompany's
    product line

    Regards
    John

    BadJake, Sep 1, 2003