[ANN] blackbook 1.0.0 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dave Myron, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. Dave Myron

    Dave Myron Guest

    blackbook version 1.0.0 has been released!

    * <http://rubyforge.org/projects/contentfree/>

    Blackbook automates the nitty-gritty of importing contacts from
    various services and files and exporting them as VCard, XML, or simple
    Hash. Utilize those contacts from services like AOL, GMail, Yahoo
    Mail, Hotmail or CSV to help your social networking site become
    GIGANTIC overnight! You'll be able to get big and sell for millions
    before anyone figures out it's just like every other social network.

    Changes:

    ## 1.0.0 / 2008-01-30

    * 2 major enhancements
    * Birthday!
    * Mechanize patch for AOL sign-on. Thanks Mortee!

    * <http://rubyforge.org/projects/contentfree/>

    Thanks to Mike Mondragon <http://blog.mondragon.cc> for finalizing
    blackbook and getting it birthed.

    Dave Myron, Feb 2, 2008

  2. Dave Myron

    Matt Stone1 Guest

    Re: blackbook 1.0.0 Released

    Hi Dave,

    This looks like a really, really useful library.

    I've just given it ago & while the gem install successfully, when I ran
    my simple code I received this error message.

    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/uri/common.rb:432:in `split': bad URI(is not URI?):
    0;%20url='http://www.google.co.uk/accounts/SetSID?ssdc=1&sidt=6QlI3RcBAAA..[snip]'
    (URI::InvalidURIError)

    I'm running Suse linux, 10.2 & ruby 1.86

    My code is pretty simple.

    require 'rubygems'
    require 'blackbook'

    contacts = Blackbook.get :username => my_email , :password =>
    my_password
    contacts.each { |c| puts "#{c.name}: #{c.email}" }

    Is there something else that I should be doing or need to install?

    rgds,
    - matt.

    Matt Stone1, Feb 3, 2008

  3. Dave Myron

    Matt Stone1 Guest

    Re: blackbook 1.0.0 Released

    Hi there,

    I managed to get this working by making a simple change to gmail.rb in
    the gem.

    Line 28 changed from:

    url =
    page.search('//meta').first.attributes['content'].split("URL=").last
    rescue nil

    url =
    page.search('//meta').first.attributes['content'].split("url=").last.gsub("'","")
    rescue nil

    A regex guru could probably think of a better way of doing this.

    Hope that helps someone.

    - matt.

    Matt Stone1, Feb 8, 2008