[ANN] Boto - RESTful Ruby Content Server

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Anthony Eden, Oct 3, 2007.

  1. Anthony Eden

    Anthony Eden Guest

    I've open sourced one of my recent projects that I've been playing
    around with called Boto. Boto is a content server built with Mongrel
    that has a RESTful interface for creating, retrieving, updating and
    deleting content. Content is stored in Amazon S3 or in the local
    filesystem. Boto supports storage of metadata in its own file inside
    the S3 environment, allowing you to retrieve and modify content
    metadata without needing to resubmit the entire content object. Boto
    also supports multi-part messages so you can submit content and its
    metadata together.

    Each time content is created, updated or deleted in Boto a message is
    posted to Amazon SQS. These messages can then be consumed by Boto
    monitor classes which can then process the data or metadata for the
    purposes of search indexing, logging, etc.

    A couple of things that are not in Boto right now but I can envision
    adding in the future include content versioning and fine-grained
    access control. I can also see the potential for pre-built monitor
    implementations for doing indexing with various search systems such as
    Solr, Ferret, Google, etc.

    Right now the source is available from the RubyForge repository:
    http://boto.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk

    Once I finish the Ruby client library and clean up the internals I'll
    publish a first release. Comments and questions can be directed to me
    at the moment until I get the mailing list set up.

    Sincerely,
    Anthony Eden

    --
    Cell: 321 473-4966