[ANN] centralized rubygems rdocs site

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Roger Pack, Jun 23, 2009.

  1. Roger Pack

    Roger Pack Guest

    I am pleased to announce the release of my site that has the rdocs for
    [almost] all existing rubygems.

    Why?

    Because it's convenient to have all rdocs installed in a single place to
    be able to browse/search them. Because it's a central repository, too,
    it eliminates the need to install local rdocs for gems, which (when you
    turn it off) means you install local gems *much* more quickly. It makes
    me happy every time I do a "gem install" :)
    It also eliminates the need for running a local gem server.

    Benefits:

    These gems' rdocs use the hanna theme, which provides for method search
    and an easy on the eyes layout. Though darkfish is also quite pretty, it
    isn't as easy to read because of font contrast.

    Check it out!

    http://allgems.faithpromotingstories.org/gems

    core docs: http://coredocs.faithpromotingstories.org/

    Note also that they're using a temporarily subdomain url. If anybody is
    interested and could help me with a subdomain of a more ruby related url
    that would be cool. I hate to fork over that $10 a year for another
    domain you know me :)

    Feedback welcome.
    Enjoy.
    =r

    Roger Pack, Jun 23, 2009

  2. Roger Pack

    James Britt Guest

    Roger Pack wrote:
    > I am pleased to announce the release of my site that has the rdocs for
    > [almost] all existing rubygems.

    How much disk space does this take?

    How do you know you have (almost) all gems?

    Are you grabbing from rubyforge and github?

    --
    James Britt

    www.neurogami.com - Smart application development

    James Britt, Jun 23, 2009

  3. Roger Pack

    Andreas S. Guest

    Roger Pack wrote:
    > I am pleased to announce the release of my site that has the rdocs for
    > [almost] all existing rubygems.

    Good idea, I always hated googling for gem rdocs all over the web, and
    finding mostly outdated versions. I assume you have some automation in
    place to rebuild the docs when new gems are released?

    > Note also that they're using a temporarily subdomain url. If anybody is
    > interested and could help me with a subdomain of a more ruby related url
    > that would be cool.

    I could offer you some ruby-forum.com subdomains, if you think that's an
    improvement. Just tell me what you need and what IP to point it to.

    Andreas

    Andreas S., Jun 23, 2009
  4. Roger Pack

    Roger Pack Guest

    Re: centralized rubygems rdocs site

    > How much disk space does this take?

    lemme check

    ...mbari_gembox_187$ du -h . --max-depth=1
    7.9G ./lib

    +100MB for the core docs, I guess.

    This just fits in my linode (along with a few other rails sites).

    /dev/xvda 16G 13G 3.2G 80% /

    > Are you grabbing from rubyforge and github?

    Currently that's just for the rubyforge gems--starting small here
    [though it should be easy to include github--I just wanted to get
    started ASAP] :)

    Andreas wrote:
    > I assume you have some automation in place to rebuild the docs when new gems are released?

    Currently I only have "the install all script" but I intend on creating
    the "update all" script soon [these scripts are like 10 lines each it
    shouldn't be too bad--I'll note that it's a 10 line script that took
    like a day straight of cpu to generate all the rdoc's :) ].

    a subdomain of ruby-forum.com has potential. Oh and thanks for
    ruby-forum BTW. I have no idea why google groups doesn't let you
    subscribe to threads, but at least ruby-forum does.

    -=r

    Roger Pack, Jun 23, 2009