[ANN] color 1.4.0 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Austin Ziegler, Nov 30, 2007.

  1. color version 1.4.0 has been released!

    * <http://color.rubyforge.org/>

    The capabilities of the Color library are limited to pure mathematical
    manipulation of the colours based on colour theory without reference to colour
    profiles (such as sRGB or Adobe RGB). For most purposes, when working with the
    RGB and HSL colours, this won't matter. However, some colour models (like CIE
    L*a*b*) are not supported because Color does not yet support
    colour profiles,
    giving no meaningful way to convert colours in absolute colour spaces (like
    L*a*b*, XYZ) to non-absolute colour spaces (like RGB).

    Changes:

    ## Color 1.4.0 / 2007.02.11
    * Merged Austin Ziegler's color-tools library (previously part of the Ruby
    PDF Tools project) with Matt Lyon's color library.
    - The HSL implementation from the Color class has been merged into
    Color::HSL. Color is a module the way it was for color-tools.
    - A thin veneer has been written to allow Color::new to return a Color::HSL
    instance; Color::HSL supports as many methods as possible that were
    previously supported by the Color class.
    - Values that were previously rounded by Color are no longer rounded;
    fractional values matter.
    * Converted to hoe for project management.
    * Moved to the next step of deprecating Color::Name values; printing a
    warning for each use (see the history for color-tools 1.3.0).
    * Print a warning on the access of either VERSION or
    COLOR_TOOLS_VERSION; the
    version constant is now COLOR_VERSION.
    * Added humanized versions of accessors (e.g., CMYK colours now
    have both #cyan
    and #c to access the cyan component of the colour; #cyan
    provides the value
    as a percentage).
    * Added CSS3 formatters for RGB, RGBA, HSL, and HSLA outputs. Note that the
    Color library does not yet have a way of setting alpha opacity, so the
    output for RGBA and HSLA are at full alpha opacity (1.0). The values are
    output with two decimal places.
    * Applied a patch to provide simple arithmetic colour addition and
    subtraction
    to Color::GrayScale and Color::RGB. The patch was contributed by Jeremy
    Hinegardner <>. This patch also provides the
    ability to
    return the maximum RGB value as a grayscale colour.
    * Fixed two problems reported by Jean Krohn <> against
    color-tools relating to RGB-to-HSL and HSL-to-RGB conversion. (Color and
    color-tools use the same formulas, but the ordering of the
    calculations is
    slightly different with Color and did not suffer from this problem;
    color-tools was more sensitive to floating-point values and precision
    errors.)
    * Fixed an issue with HSL/RGB conversions reported by Adam Johnson
    <>.
    * Added an Adobe Color swatch (Photoshop) palette reader,
    Color::palette::AdobeColor (for .aco files only).
    --
    Austin Ziegler * * http://www.halostatue.ca/
    * * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/

    Austin Ziegler, Nov 30, 2007

  2. Austin Ziegler

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Nov 29, 2007, at 8:41 PM, Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > color version 1.4.0 has been released!
    >
    > * <http://color.rubyforge.org/>

    looks like a great lib austin: thanks.

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
    --
    share your knowledge. it's a way to achieve immortality.
    h.h. the 14th dalai lama

    ara.t.howard, Nov 30, 2007

  3. On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 01:07:56PM +0900, ara.t.howard wrote:

    > On Nov 29, 2007, at 8:41 PM, Austin Ziegler wrote:
    >
    >> color version 1.4.0 has been released!
    >>
    >> * <http://color.rubyforge.org/>

    > looks like a great lib austin: thanks.

    Its good to see a new release of color. I've always enjoyed it.

    enjoy,

    -jeremy

    Jeremy Hinegardner

    Jeremy Hinegardner, Nov 30, 2007