    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    Author: Jim Freeze

    WHAT
    =3D=3D=3D=3D
    Library update to CommandLine.
    - New documentation.
    - Refined API - May be some API changes required from 0.7.6.
    - Gem name is now lowercase

    DOCS
    =3D=3D=3D=3D
    =09http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/632/232/posted-docs.index.html

    ABOUT
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    CommandLine is a library that greatly simplifies the repetitive
    process of building a command line user interface for your
    applications. It's 'ruby-like' usage style streamlines application
    development so that even applications with numerous configuration
    options can be quickly put together. CommandLine automatically builds
    friendly usage and help screens that are nicely formatted for the
    user. No longer is starting an application a pain where you have to
    copy boiler plate code (or a previous application) and retype
    repetitive code to get an application started

    EXAMPLE
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

    % cat app.rb
    #---------------------------------------------------
    #!/usr/bin/env ruby

    require 'rubygems'
    require 'commandline'

    class App < CommandLine::Application

    def initialize
    version "0.0.1"
    author "Author Name"
    copyright "Copyright (c) 2005, Jim Freeze"
    short_description "A simple app example that takes two arguments."
    long_description "This app is a simple application example that "+
    "supports three options and two commandline "+
    "arguments."

    option :debug, :arity =3D> [0,1],
    =09=09=09=09 :arg_description =3D> "debug_level",
    :eek:pt_description =3D> "Set debug level from 0 to 9.",
    =09=09=09=09 :eek:pt_found =3D> get_args
    option :version, :help

    expected_ :param_file, :eek:ut_file
    end

    def main
    =09=09#... code here
    end
    end#class App
    #---------------------------------------------------

    % app.rb -h
    NAME

    app.rb - A simple app example that takes two arguments.

    DESCRIPTION

    This app is a simple application example that supports three
    options and two commandline arguments.

    OPTIONS

    --debug,-d debug_level
    Set debug level from 0 to 9.

    --version,-v
    Displays application version.

    --help,-h
    Displays help page.

    AUTHOR: Author Name
    Copyright (c) 2005, Jim Freeze

    TESTS
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    Tests: 81
    Assertions: 310

    DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

    Homepage: http://rubyforge.org/projects/optionparser/
    Documentation: http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/632/232/posted-docs.ind=
    ex.html
    Download: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D632&release_id=3D2345

    Dependencies:
    * None

    Currently CommandLine is only available as a rubygem.

    Via RubyGems
    $ gem install -r commandline

    All feedback is appreciated!

    Installations not yet available
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    # not in RPA yet
    Via RPA
    $ rpa install commandline

    # this either
    The do-it-yourself way
    $ ruby setup.rb config
    $ ruby setup.rb setup
    $ ruby setup.rb install

    # nor this
    The simplified do-it-yourself way
    $ rake install

    RELEASE NOTES
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

    =3D=3D 0.7.9 11/05/2005
    =3D=3D=3D Additions
    - Renamed gem to lowercase commandline
    - Added replay command options
    - Added CommandLine::Application_wo_AutoRun - no auto run set thru at_exit
    - Added documentation for CommandLine::Application - instead of just README
    - Changed :arg_arity to :arity in Option
    - Add :required for use with :eek:pt_found
    - Added args accessor for @args - suggested by Esteban Manchado Vel=E1zquez
    - Added opt() accessor for @option_data[]

    HISTORY
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    After poking around in a few corporations, it was evident that
    option parsing was not well understood. Therefore, many inhouse
    tools were built that did not conform to any of the POSIX, Gnu or XTools
    option styles. CommandLine::OptionParser was developed so that
    new applications could be written that conformed to accepted standards,
    but non-standard option configurations could be handled as well
    to support legacy interfaces.

    Once the option parsing was written, there was a need to streamline
    the repetitive tasks in setting up an application. The original
    boilerplate was simple, but after taking a few cues from
    rails, a significant amount of functionality was added to
    Application that make it a very useful tool yet simple to use.

    More information and usage scenarios on OptionParser can be found at:
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/optionparser/

    ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    This library contains code from:
    * Austin Ziegler - Text::Format
    * Ara - open4.rb - obtained from codeforthepeople

    Jim Freeze
    Jim Freeze, Nov 6, 2005

  2. Thanks, Jim! I'll tuck this away in a tool belt. Great work!

    Duane Johnson
    (canadaduane)

    Duane Johnson, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Jim Freeze

    Jim Freeze Guest

    On 11/10/05, Duane Johnson <> wrote:
    > Thanks, Jim! I'll tuck this away in a tool belt. Great work!

    Sure. Send feedback anytime.

    Enjoy! :)

    --
    Jim Freeze