[ANN] cool.io 1.0.0: a cool event framework for Ruby (formerly knownas Rev)

Tony Arcieri

Do you like Sinatra? Do you like Node.js? Wish you could write Node.js apps
in Ruby as easily as you write Sinatra apps? Let's ask Cool.io how:

http://coolio.github.com
https://github.com/tarcieri/cool.io

Cool.io is a framework for building event-driven applications, namely
scalable network servers and clients, but also provides out-of-the-box
support for filesystem monitoring and inter-thread signaling. Cool.io also
supports a robust event-driven HTTP/1.1 client suitable for creating web
spiders or other HTTP clients that need to make large numbers of concurrent
connections.

Cool.io is built on libev, a fast C-based event library which also provides
the underpinnings for evented I/O in Node.js. It works on Ruby 1.8.7+,
1.9.2+, and Rubinius HEAD.

Cool.io 1.0.0 features a cool new DSL which makes writing evented network
servers and clients this easy. Here's an example echo server:

require 'rubygems'
require 'cool.io'

ADDR = '127.0.0.1'
PORT = 4321

cool.io.server ADDR, PORT do
on_connect do
puts "#{remote_addr}:#{remote_port} connected"
end

on_close do
puts "#{remote_addr}:#{remote_port} disconnected"
end

on_read do |data|
write data
end
end

puts "Echo server listening on #{ADDR}:#{PORT}"
cool.io.run

For more information, see the home page.