[ANN] CruiseControl.rb 1.2.1

alexey.verkhovsky

CruiseControl.rb 1.2.1 is out.

CruiseControl.rb is a continuous integration tool. Its basic purpose
in life is to alert members of a software project when one of them
checks something into source control that breaks the build. CC.rb is
easy to install, pleasant to use and simple to hack. It's written in
Ruby.

7 months after version 1.1, you'd think there must be a lot of new
stuff in it. Well, here is good news for y'all: no, there isn't. :)

So far, we managed to stay on the course of "let's build a CI tool
that works for the 90% case and small enough to be easily modified for
most of the remaining 10%". Which meant having to say "no" to a lot of
new features... and feeling sorry about fine people who proposed them.
But "simple to hack" is itself a core functionality of CC.rb that we
would not compromise.

There is, in fact, just one significant new feature in 1.2: build
triggers. Every time a build loop goes through "check if a new build
is needed" step, it checks if there is a new revision in SVN. Since
version 1.2, this is implemented as project.triggers collection, which
can be modified by the user. It's useful whenever you have two
projects and want a change in one of them to cause a rebuild of the
other.

Apart from that, 1.2 is strictly a maintenance release. NOTE: names of
build directories have been changed. A builder will update its project
data automatically first time you start it.

CHANGELOG

- build chaining implemented w/ triggers
- [bugfix] fixed some windows specific things to do with running a server
- recognized NetBSD as a platform
- some optimizations for dashboard / CCTray performance
- data version of ./projects directory is stored, and necessary
migrations are run automatically if cruise version number is bigger
than data version
- setting CC_BUILD_LABEL environment variable before invoking the build
- [bugfix] no longer passing in 'production' as RAILS_ENV to rake cruise
- [bugfix] handle Subversion URLs with spaces; generally improved
escaping of special characters on the command line
- [bugfix] Email notifier works with non-TLS enabled SMTP servers

LINKS

Documentation: http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com
Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2918
Bug tracker: http://jira.public.thoughtworks.org/browse/CCRB
Users mailing list: (e-mail address removed)

UPGRADE

Download, unzip, copy ./projects directory over from previous CC.rb
installation, kill old dashboard and builders, start the new ones.
Live happily ever after.

djberg96

CruiseControl.rb 1.2.1 is out.

CruiseControl.rb is a continuous integration tool. Its basic purpose
in life is to alert members of a software project when one of them
checks something into source control that breaks the build. CC.rb is
easy to install, pleasant to use and simple to hack. It's written in
Ruby.

7 months after version 1.1, you'd think there must be a lot of new
stuff in it. Well, here is good news for y'all: no, there isn't. :)

Still no CVS support? That's a shame.

Regards,

Dan

Alexey Verkhovsky

Still no CVS support? That's a shame.

CVS is legacy tech by now. I have yet to see an actual Ruby project
using CVS (although I've heard of such things). All TW Ruby projects
are using Subversion, which is why we don't have any other source
control option in the core.

In fact, speaking of other source control options, we had noticeably
more requests to support Mercurial and git, than CVS. There are 3rd
party plugins for both.

Daniel Berger

CVS is legacy tech by now. I have yet to see an actual Ruby project
using CVS (although I've heard of such things). All TW Ruby projects
are using Subversion, which is why we don't have any other source
control option in the core.

You must be joking. Look no further than RubyForge or SourceForge.
Heck, even Ruby itself was using CVS until last year or so.
In fact, speaking of other source control options, we had noticeably
more requests to support Mercurial and git, than CVS. There are 3rd
party plugins for both.

And there are none for CVS?

Please reconsider CVS!

Regards,

Dan

Luis Lavena

CVS is legacy tech by now. I have yet to see an actual Ruby project
using CVS (although I've heard of such things). All TW Ruby projects
are using Subversion, which is why we don't have any other source
control option in the core.

In fact, speaking of other source control options, we had noticeably
more requests to support Mercurial and git, than CVS. There are 3rd
party plugins for both.

CVS is dead!, long live to <another-vcs-or-dvcs-solution>!

+1 for Bazaar plugin ;-)

Alexey Verkhovsky

You must be joking. Look no further than RubyForge

Good point. :) Although I don't see any reason why would anybody still
use it on RubyForge, now that it provides Subversion and an easy
transition path from CVS.
Please reconsider CVS!
Sorry, but no. See the blurb about value of simplicity above.

If you are stuck with CVS, there are several options available.
Starting right with CC the original (which had a major face-lift in
both installation and UI departments over the last year, by the way).