[ANN] Data Plotting Library DISLIN 10.3

Helmut Michels

Dear C/C++ users,

I am pleased to announce version 10.3 of the data plotting software
DISLIN.

DISLIN is a high-level and easy to use plotting library for
displaying data as curves, bar graphs, pie charts, 3D-colour plots,
surfaces, contours and maps. Several output formats are supported
such as X11, VGA, PostScript, PDF, CGM, WMF, HPGL, TIFF, GIF, PNG,
BMP and SVG.

The software is available for the most C, Fortran 77 and Fortran 90/95
compilers. Plotting extensions for the interpreting languages Perl,
Python, Java, Ch, Ruby and TCL are also supported.

DISLIN distributions and manuals in PDF and HTML format are available
from the DISLIN home page

http://www.dislin.de

and via FTP from the server

ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/grafik/dislin

All DISLIN distributions are free for non-commercial use. Licenses
for commercial use are available from the site http://www.dislin.de.

-------------------
Helmut Michels
Max Planck Institute for
Solar System Research Phone: +49 5556 979-334
Max-Planck-Str. 2 Fax : +49 5556 979-240
D-37191 Katlenburg-Lindau Mail : (e-mail address removed)

Shao Miller

Dear C/C++ users,

I am pleased to announce version 10.3 of the data plotting software
DISLIN.

Cool! Thank you for sharing.

(Just so you know, there is a separate newsgroup for C++, since it's a
different language, but I'm sure there's some reader overlap.)

Noob

Shao said:
Cool! Thank you for sharing.

I'm not sure we want world+dog announcing new versions of
their wares to the group. The signal to noise ratio would
plummet to zero rather quickly.

My two cents.

Shao Miller

I'm not sure we want world+dog announcing new versions of
their wares to the group. The signal to noise ratio would
plummet to zero rather quickly.

My two cents.

I think a concise, one-time announcement of a C library that's free for
non-commercial use is nice. I'd agree that a post for a new version
would be noisy. If this software has been announced before, I'd suggest
that Mr. H. Michels carefully consider what you've said. Google or
other Internet search services make searching comp.lang.c possible, in
case someone is looking for a product. Those who already know about and
are interested in a product can keep informed via a product-specific
subscription mechanism. :)

Ben Bacarisse

I think a concise, one-time announcement of a C library that's free
for non-commercial use is nice. I'd agree that a post for a new
version would be noisy. If this software has been announced before,
I'd suggest that Mr. H. Michels carefully consider what you've said.

There have been multiple such announcements (the oldest I can find being
1996) and in multiple groups (most, if not all, multi-posted rather than
cross posted) and I don't consider the original post to be a concise
announcement. However, it is at least flagged [ANN] which means that if
everybody did it one could filter out the thousands of such messages
that there would come through!

I'd be happy with infrequent, concise, cross-posted announcements of new
versions of things very closely related to C: tools, compilers, core
libraries and so on, but there are so many other things such as this
sort of library that it's only tolerable because few people do it.

<snip>