[ANN] DBC for C 1.3.0 released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Charles Mills, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. Charles Mills, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

    > Charles Mills <> writes:
    >

    >>This is a very high quality release thanks to Sebastian Hunt and Marc
    >>Verwerft. DBC for C now has exceptional GCC support (including GCC
    >>extensions) and is significantly quicker and more polished than the
    >>initial releases. (Also has Windows support as of 1.2.3.)

    > good idea but what's the difference to GEF?
    > http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbyofrocny/GEF/GEF.html

    As far as I understand it, DBC for C uses comments in the header file to
    genrarte contract checking code, whereas GEF hides the contracts
    specification in the implementation.

    regards,
    Henrik

    Henrik Horneber, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Charles Mills <> writes:

    > This is a very high quality release thanks to Sebastian Hunt and Marc
    > Verwerft. DBC for C now has exceptional GCC support (including GCC
    > extensions) and is significantly quicker and more polished than the
    > initial releases. (Also has Windows support as of 1.2.3.)

    good idea but what's the difference to GEF?
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbyofrocny/GEF/GEF.html

    Regards
    Friedrich

    --
    Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.

    Friedrich Dominicus, Dec 3, 2004
  4. On Dec 3, 2004, at 9:29 AM, Henrik Horneber wrote:

    > Friedrich Dominicus wrote:
    >
    >> Charles Mills <> writes:
    >>> This is a very high quality release thanks to Sebastian Hunt and
    >>> Marc Verwerft. DBC for C now has exceptional GCC support (including
    >>> GCC extensions) and is significantly quicker and more polished than
    >>> the initial releases. (Also has Windows support as of 1.2.3.)

    >> good idea but what's the difference to GEF?
    >> http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbyofrocny/GEF/GEF.html

    GEF uses the C preprocessor. DBC for C is a preprocessor. I tried
    using GEF (before I began working on DBC for C) and found it too
    complicated to use. DBC for C is pretty simple - all you need to do is
    define a function/macro - dbc_error(const char *msg) - which gets
    called whenever a contract condition is not met. See this article:
    http://www.codegeneration.net/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=72
    or the wiki (dbc.rubyforge.org) for more info.

    One nice thing about DBC for C is it is easy to inject into existing
    project or remove if it doesn't meet your needs. You can compile the
    code normally or with contract checks in place... add invariants that
    will be checked in through out your project... if it sounds interesting
    I encourage you to check out the links above. Also there is a pretty
    active mailing list for DBC for C here:
    http://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=354

    > As far as I understand it, DBC for C uses comments in the header file
    > to genrarte contract checking code, whereas GEF hides the contracts
    > specification in the implementation.

    That's right.... header files and .c files. Most of the DBC comment
    will be in .c files, especially if you use opaque types.
    With GEF contract specifications are part of your function and are
    manipulated using preprocessor macros.

    -Charlie

    Charles Mills, Dec 3, 2004