ANN: (Different) Try Python Beta

Devan L

I've spent a while putting together a partially working Try Python
which handles class and function definitions. It also (used to) work
with imports, but my hacked version of jelly doesn't work with it
anymore, so only import this works as far as I know. It won't play nice
if you store the id of an object because the objects are recreated
every time, but references still work. It also won't let you maintain
generators or iterators, but you can still put them inside functions to
use. Printing also adds unnecessary newlines which I haven't fixed yet.
And no, it doesn't use AJA(X|T), only some javascript to focus the
input box.

So here's the link for it:
< http://www.datamech.com/devan/trypython/trypython.py >

And if you want to see Mike Meyers' nicer, original one:
< http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/try_python/ >

If you want to see the source, send me an email, although you may have
to gouge your eyes out after reading it.

Steve Holden

Devan said:
[...]

At first I thought 'the cgitb TypeError message from "import os" is
impressively drastic :)'. Then I realised in a later session that
"import os" only gave an error message after I'd run "import this".
Thereafter, unfortunately, almost any input - legal or not - appears to
result in a cgitb trace.

regards
Steve

Devan L

Steve said:
Devan L wrote: [what I said]
At first I thought 'the cgitb TypeError message from "import os" is
impressively drastic :)'. Then I realised in a later session that
"import os" only gave an error message after I'd run "import this".
Thereafter, unfortunately, almost any input - legal or not - appears to
result in a cgitb trace.

Try reloading the page, otherwise it will use the old session id. It
likes to break one step input after the offending action. It will also
screw up the state of the session. Incidentally, import this doesn't
seem to work, either. But importing is broken in general anyways, so I
wouldn't recommend using it.

Mike Meyer

Devan L said:
I've spent a while putting together a partially working Try Python
which handles class and function definitions. It also (used to) work
with imports, but my hacked version of jelly doesn't work with it
anymore, so only import this works as far as I know. It won't play nice
if you store the id of an object because the objects are recreated
every time, but references still work. It also won't let you maintain
generators or iterators, but you can still put them inside functions to
use. Printing also adds unnecessary newlines which I haven't fixed yet.
And no, it doesn't use AJA(X|T), only some javascript to focus the
input box.
So here's the link for it:
< http://www.datamech.com/devan/trypython/trypython.py >

Very cool. I thought about doing the split box like that, but really
wanted it to feel like you were at a console. That drove a lot of my
decisions.
And if you want to see Mike Meyers' nicer, original one:
< http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/try_python/ >

I've udpate this. The major part is adding the mechanisms that's
goinng to be used to deal with presenting the walkthrough (more
Javascript; sorry), plus some links on getting more information about
Python, or getting it to play with on your own. I hope to start on the
tutorial portion of the thing this weekend.

<mike