ANN: Django 0.90

Adrian Holovaty

After a months-long "pre-release" period, we're pleased to announce the
first release of Django, the Web framework for perfectionists (with
deadlines).

Django is a high-level Python Web framework that encourages rapid
development and clean, pragmatic design. It lets you write high-quality
Web apps very quickly, with very little code.

It gives you:

* An object-relational mapper, which currently works with PostgreSQL,
MySQL and SQLite. (Oracle and MS-SQL support are coming.) This lets you
query databases in Python; there's no need to write SQL if you don't
want to.

* A template system.

* A beautiful, production-ready admin interface -- for free.

* Full internationalization (i18n) support.

* A super-cool community!

* An RSS/Atom-producing framework.

* Tons of other niceties, such as generic views (which abstract common
Web-development patterns), based on several years' worth of solving
Real Problems in the Real World.

Django has been used on production sites -- lawrence.com, ljworld.com,
6newslawrence.com, kusports.com, visitlawrence.com -- since late 2003.
It also powers chicagocrime.org and a host of other sites all over the
world. See http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/DjangoPoweredSites .

This release is version 0.90. Our goal is to wrap up remaining changes
for 1.0 in the coming weeks/month, and release 1.0 with a guarantee of
backwards compatibility. There's not yet a guarantee of backwards
compatibility between releases.

http://www.djangoproject.com/
http://www.djangoproject.com/download/

Enjoy!