[ANN] dokkit 0.4.2 released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Andrea Fazzi, Aug 5, 2008.

  1. Andrea Fazzi

    Andrea Fazzi Guest

    Hi Folks,

    dokkit 0.4.2 has been released!

    1 Changes from version 0.4.1
    ============================

    * added 'formatter' configuration key

    With the 'formatter' key, users can select the formatter to use for
    rendering the current document.

    The example configuration below tell dokkit to use maruku filters
    (maruku-html, maruku-latex) to render the same markdown source document
    in html and latex format:

    ---
    formatter: maruku
    format:
    - html
    - latex
    ---

    The example above is equivalent to:

    ---
    format:
    - html
    filter:
    - erb
    - maruku-html
    - latex
    filter:
    - erb
    - maruku-latex
    ---

    The default value for 'formatter' key is 'deplate'. Current available
    formatters are: deplate, maruku, haml.

    * added haml filter

    The example below will applies haml postfiltering to the document layout:

    ---
    format:
    - html
    postfilter:
    - haml
    ---

    * easier access to configuration hash

    The erb code below returns the value of @configuration['title']:

    ---
    title: Document title
    ---

    Title of the document: <%= title %>

    2 What's dokkit?
    ================

    dokkit is a document generator written in ruby that is suitable for
    static websites generation too.

    dokkit uses formatters like deplate[1] and maruku[2] to generate
    documents in a large variety of output formats.

    dokkit's features are:

    * a smart building system based on rake[3]
    * a templating system based on ERB[4]
    * a flexible configuration system based on YAML[5] that supports
    shared configuration files and 'in header' configuration
    * an extensible formatting system that uses deplate and maruku as
    built-in filters
    * convention over configuration: for example, you don't need to give
    the layout name to use if a layout with the same name of the
    processed document is found in doc/layouts folder
    * support for nested layouts
    * support for partials
    * support for caching

    With dokkit you can:

    * generate static websites
    * generate many types of documents in many formats (html, tex, plain
    text, etc.)
    * write your documents using a simple wiki syntax and get high
    quality latex output
    * generate different output formats from the same source document
    * use models to quickly generate the documents you want (static
    websites, reports, howtos, guides, presentations, etc.)
    * simply derive new documentation models from the existing ones
    * simply modify existing models to fit your needs

    dokkit aims to be modular and extensible: you can add new formatters and
    helpers and easily extend document functionalities.

    See dokkit website[6] for further information, documentation and
    tutorials.

    Please, visit the google group[7] and send feedback and suggestions!

    3 Installation
    ==============

    From rubygems:

    sudo gem install dokkit

    From subversion repository:

    svn co http://dokkit.rubyforge.org/svn/dokkit-core/trunk/

    4 Usage
    =======

    dokkit simple
    cd simple/
    rake

    [1] http://deplate.sf.net/
    [2] http://maruku.rubyforge.org/
    [3] http://rake.rubyforge.org/
    [4] http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/
    [5] http://yaml4r.sourceforge.net/
    [6] http://dokkit.rubyforge.org/
    [7] http://groups.google.com/group/dokkit-forum
    Andrea Fazzi, Aug 5, 2008

  2. Andrea Fazzi

    Axel Etzold Guest

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    > Datum: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:33:01 +0900
    > Von: Andrea Fazzi <>
    > Betreff: [ANN] dokkit 0.4.2 released

    Dear Andrea,

    I can't try your software ... I am using ubuntu 8.04 (32 bit), tried sudo gem install dokkit, got successful
    installation messages, but then:

    >dokkit simple

    bash: dokkit: command not found

    Is there a way to use your software from inside a ruby script ... ? I tried

    require "rubygems"
    require "dokkit"

    system("dokkit simple")

    .. but got not simple directory created ...

    Thank you very much for your help,

    Best regards,

    Axel

    Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx
    Axel Etzold, Aug 5, 2008

  3. Andrea Fazzi

    Andrea Fazzi Guest

    Axel Etzold ha scritto:
    > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    >
    >> Datum: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:33:01 +0900
    >> Von: Andrea Fazzi <>
    >> Betreff: [ANN] dokkit 0.4.2 released
    >>

    > Dear Andrea,
    >
    > I can't try your software ... I am using ubuntu 8.04 (32 bit), tried sudo gem install dokkit, got successful
    > installation messages, but then:
    >

    >> dokkit simple
    >>

    > bash: dokkit: command not found
    >
    > Is there a way to use your software from inside a ruby script ... ? I tried
    >
    > require "rubygems"
    > require "dokkit"
    >
    > system("dokkit simple")
    >
    > .. but got not simple directory created ...
    >

    > Thank you very much for your help,
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Axel

    Hi Axel,

    first of all thank you for your interest in dokkit.

    I have installed and tested dokkit 0.4.2 from scratch on a Xubuntu 8.04
    without errors (except for a dependency issue with haml package that has
    been fixed in the just released dokkit 0.4.3 ... ).

    Please, in a terminal run:

    whereis dokkit

    check the output and let me know.

    If you prefer, in order to continue our discussion, you can subscribe on
    the dokkit google group at

    http://groups.google.com/group/dokkit-forum

    Regards,
    Andrea