ANN: eGenix mx Base Distribution 3.0.0 (mxDateTime, mxTextTools, etc.)

Discussion in 'Python' started by eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, May 10, 2007.

  1. ________________________________________________________________________

    ANNOUNCING

    eGenix.com mx Base Extension Package

    Version 3.0.0

    Open Source Python extensions providing important and useful
    services for Python programmers.

    This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
    http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mx-Base-Distribution-3.0-GA.html

    ABOUT

    The eGenix.com mx Base Extensions for Python are a collection of
    professional quality software tools which enhance Python's usability
    in many important areas such as fast text searching, date/time
    processing and high speed data types.

    The tools have a proven record of being portable across many Unix and
    Windows platforms. You can write applications which use the tools on
    Windows and then run them on Unix platforms without change due to the
    consistent platform independent interfaces.

    All available packages have proven their stability and usefulness in
    many mission critical applications and various commercial settings all
    around the world.

    * About Python:
    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language which
    runs on all modern platforms (http://www.python.org/). By integrating
    ease-of-use, clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity
    and rapid application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for todays IT challenges.

    * About eGenix:
    eGenix is a consulting and software product company focused on
    providing professional quality services and products to Python
    users and developers (http://www.egenix.com/).

    NEWS

    The 3.0 release of the eGenix mx Base Distributions comes with a huge
    number of enhancements, bug fixes and additions.

    Some highlights:

    * All mx Extensions have been ported to Python 2.5.

    * mxDateTime has support for working with Python's datetime module
    types, so you can use and combine both if necessary. The parser
    was enhanced to support even more formats and make it more
    reliable than ever before.

    * mxTextTools now fully supports Unicode, so you can parse Unicode
    data just as fast as you can 8-bit string data. The package also
    includes a tag table compiler and new jump target support to
    simplify working with tag tables.

    * mxURL and mxUID were previously released as part of our
    mx Experimental distribution. They have now been integrated into
    the base distribution, providing easy-to-use data types for
    common tasks in web programming.

    * We've switched from the old distutils wininst installer to the
    new MSI installer for the Windows Python 2.5 build. This gives
    you a lot more options for automatic installs, including
    unattended installs.
    See http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/msi/ for details.

    For a more detailed description of changes, please see the respective
    package documentation on our web-site.

    As always we are providing pre-compiled versions of the package for
    Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD and Solaris as well as sources
    which allow you to install the package on all other supported
    platforms.

    DOWNLOADS

    The download archives and instructions for installing the packages can
    be found on the eGenix mx Base Distribution page:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/

    UPGRADING

    Please note that the 2.0 series of the eGenix mx Base Distribution does
    not support Python 2.5 on 64-bit platforms due to the Py_ssize_t
    changes in the Python C API.

    You are encouraged to upgrade to the new 3.0 series, if you plan to
    deploy on 64-bit platforms and use Python 2.5 as basis for your
    applications.

    LICENSES & COSTS

    The eGenix mx Base package is distributed under the eGenix.com Public
    License which is a CNRI Python License style Open Source license.
    You can use the package in both commercial and non-commercial settings
    without fee or charge.

    The package comes with full source code

    SUPPORT

    Commercial support for these packages is available from eGenix.com.
    Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

    for details about our support offerings.

    Enjoy,
    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, May 10 2007)

    eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, May 10, 2007