ANN: eGenix mxODBC Connect 1.0.1 - Python Database Interface

Discussion in 'Python' started by eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, Mar 19, 2009.

  1. ________________________________________________________________________

    ANNOUNCING
    eGenix.com mxODBC Connect

    Python Database Interface

    Version 1.0.1

    Our new client-server product for connecting Python applications
    to relational databases - from all major platforms

    This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
    http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-Connect-1.0.1-GA.html

    INTRODUCTION

    The mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python allows users to
    easily connect Python applications to all major databases on the
    market today in a highly portable and convenient way.

    Unlike our mxODBC Python extension, mxODBC Connect is designed
    as client-server application, so you no longer need to find production
    quality ODBC drivers for all the platforms you target with your Python
    application.

    Instead you use an easy to install Python client library which
    connects directly to the mxODBC Connect database server over the
    network.

    This makes mxODBC Connect the ideal basis for writing cross-platform
    database programs and utilities in Python, especially if you run
    applications that need to communicate with databases such as MS SQL
    Server and MS Access, Oracle Database, IBM DB2 and Informix, Sybase
    ASE and Sybase Anywhere, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP MaxDB and many more,
    that run on Windows or Linux machines.

    By removing the need to install and configure ODBC drivers on the
    client side, mxODBC Connect greatly simplifies setup and
    configuration of database driven client applications, while at
    the same time making the network communication between client and
    database server more efficient and more secure.

    For more information, please see the product page:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/

    NEWS

    mxODBC Connect 1.0.1 is a patch-level release of our new mxODBC Connect
    product.

    * More Robust

    We have made the client and server more robust in case of communication
    failures. Even if the client applications fail to shutdown the server
    connection before exiting, the server will free up resources used by the
    client on the server side and rollback transactions as necessary.

    * More Platform Support

    With the 1.0.1 release we are also providing much better platform
    support for the mxODBC Connect Client: we have fixed a problem in 1.0.0
    that prevented the installation of the pre-built clients on non-Linux
    systems.

    The mxODBC Connect Client can now be installed on most platforms
    supported by Python, since it is written in a platform independent,
    portable way.

    The pre-built archives also make it possible to integrate the clients
    into build system such as buildout (used in Zope and Plone) or other
    distutils-based deployment systems.

    * Ideal for Building Bridges

    As a result, connecting from e.g. Mac OS X to an SQL Server database
    has never been easier. You can even keep the data sources you already
    have configured on your Windows machine and connect to them as if your
    application were running on the database server itself.

    UPGRADING

    You are encouraged to upgrade to this latest mxODBC Connect release.
    When upgrading, please always upgrade both the server and the client
    installations to the same version - even for patch level releases.

    Customers who have purchased mxODBC Connect 1.0 licenses can download
    and upgrade their existing installations without having to purchase
    new licenses or upgrades. The licenses will continue to work with
    version 1.0.1.

    Users of our stand-alone mxODBC product will have to purchase new
    licenses from our online shop in order to use mxODBC Connect.

    You can request 30-day evaluation licenses by visiting our web-site
    or writing to , stating your name (or the name of the
    company) and the number of eval licenses that you need.

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/#Evaluation

    DOWNLOADS

    The download archives as well as instructions for installation and
    configuration of the product can be found on the product page:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/

    Evaluation licenses for the server part are available free of
    charge:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/#Evaluation

    The client part of mxODBC Connect is always free of charge.

    SUPPORT

    Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.

    Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

    for details about our support offerings.

    Enjoy,
    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Mar 19 2009)

    http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

    eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, Mar 19, 2009