ANN: eGenix mxODBC Distribution 3.0.0 (mxODBC Database Interface)

Discussion in 'Python' started by eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, May 10, 2007.

  1. ________________________________________________________________________

    ANNOUNCING mxODBC Database Interface

    Version 3.0.0

    Our commercially supported Python extension providing
    ODBC database connectivity to Python applications
    on Windows and Unix platforms

    This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:

    The mxODBC Database Interface allows users to easily connect
    Python applications to just about any database on the market
    today - on both Windows and Unix platforms in a highly portable
    and convenient way. This makes mxODBC the ideal basis for writing
    cross-platform database programs and utilities in Python.

    mxODBC is included in the mxODBC Distribution
    for Python, a commercial part of the mx Extension Series,
    a collection of professional quality software tools which enhance
    Python's usability in many important areas such as ODBC database
    connectivity, fast text processing, date/time processing and
    web site programming.

    The package has proven its stability and usefulness in many mission
    critical applications and various commercial settings all around
    the world.

    * About Python:
    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language which
    runs on all modern platforms ( By integrating
    ease-of-use, clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity
    and rapid application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for todays IT challenges.

    * About eGenix:
    eGenix is a consulting and software product company focused on
    providing professional quality services and products to Python
    users and developers (

    mxODBC 3.0 has received a large number of enhancements and supports
    more ODBC drivers than ever.

    Some highlights:

    * mxODBC has been ported to Python 2.5.

    * We've worked a lot on the Unicode support and made it more
    robust, especially on Unix platforms where the ODBC Unicode
    support has stabilized over the last few years. You can now issue
    commands using Unicode and exchange Unicode data with the database
    in various configurable ways.

    * We've also added a methods to give you more control of the
    connections and cursors as well as the .callproc() method for
    calling stored procedures that mxODBC 2.0 was missing.

    * Multiple result sets via the .nextset() are also supported, so
    working with stored procedures should be a lot easier now.

    * Another highlight is the added support for Python's datetime
    module types and the option to use strings for date/time
    processing (e.g. to be able to use timezones in timestamps if
    that's supported by the database).

    * Python's decimal module is now supported as well and it's possible
    to configure mxODBC to return Decimal types for numeric values.

    * mxODBC 3.0 received full 64-bit support, so that you can run
    mxODBC (and all other mx Extensions) on e.g. AMD64 platforms.

    * We've switched from the old distutils wininst installer to the
    new MSI installer for the Windows Python 2.5 build. This gives
    you a lot more options for automatic installs, including
    unattended installs.
    See for details.

    Note that in order to avoid confusion, we've decided to rename the mx Commercial Distribution to mxODBC Distribution
    with this release. The commercial distribution has always only contained
    the mxODBC package, so this was an obvious step to clarify things for
    our users.

    As always we are providing pre-compiled versions of the package for
    Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD and Solaris as well as sources
    which allow you to install the package on all other supported

    The download archives and instructions for installing the package can
    be found at:

    In order to use the eGenix mx Commercial package you will first
    need to install the eGenix mx Base package which can be downloaded
    from here:

    Please note that mxODBC 2.0 does not support Python 2.5 on 64-bit
    platforms due to the Py_ssize_t changes in the Python C API.

    You are encouraged to upgrade to the new mxODBC 3.0 release, if you plan
    to deploy on 64-bit platforms and use Python 2.5 as basis for your

    This release brings you all the new features and enhancements in mxODBC
    that were previously only available in through our mxODBC Zope Database

    Like the Zope product, mxODBC now requires that you install a license
    in order to use it.

    You can request 30-day evaluation licenses by writing to
    , stating your name (or the name of the company) and the
    number of eval licenses that you need. We will then issue you licenses
    and send them to you by email.

    Please make sure that you can receive ZIP file attachments on the email
    you specify in the request, since the license files are send out as
    ZIP attachements.

    Commercial support for these packages is available from
    Please see

    for details about our support offerings.

    Marc-Andre Lemburg

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, May 10 2007)
    >>> Python/Zope Consulting and Support ...
    >>> mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ...
    >>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ...

    :::: Try mxODBC.Zope.DA for Windows,Linux,Solaris,MacOSX for free ! :::: Software, Skills and Services GmbH Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
    eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, May 10, 2007

    On May 10, 9:34 am, "eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg" <>
    > mxODBC Database Interface

    I gather this is no longer free for non-commercial use
    (as the previous version was) and is now a totally for-pay
    , May 11, 2007