ANN: eGenix mxODBC - Python ODBC Database Interface 3.1.1

Discussion in 'Python' started by eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, May 25, 2011.

  1. ________________________________________________________________________

    ANNOUNCING

    eGenix.com mxODBC - Python ODBC Database Interface

    Version 3.1.1

    mxODBC is our commercially supported Python extension providing
    ODBC database connectivity to Python applications
    on Windows, Mac OS X, Unix and BSD platforms

    This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
    http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-3.1.1-GA.html

    INTRODUCTION

    mxODBC provides an easy-to-use, high-performance, reliable and robust
    Python interface to ODBC compatible databases such as MS SQL Server,
    MS Access, Oracle Database, IBM DB2 and Informix , Sybase ASE and
    Sybase Anywhere, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP MaxDB and many more:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

    The "eGenix mxODBC - Python ODBC Database Interface" product is a
    commercial extension to our open-source eGenix mx Base Distribution:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/

    NEWS

    mxODBC 3.1 Update
    -----------------

    The mxODBC 3.1.1 patch level release adds compatibility to our new
    eGenix.com mx Base Distribution 3.2.0, which includes Windows x64
    support.

    If you are currently using the combinations mxODBC 3.1.0 + mx Base
    3.1.3, please consider upgrading to our latest releases
    mxODBC 3.1.1 + mx Base 3.2.0.

    Licenses for mxODBC 3.1.0 remain valid for mxODBC 3.1.1 as well.

    Release Highlights
    ------------------

    * We've added Python 2.7 support and builds for all platforms.

    * mxODBC 3.1 adds native support for the Windows 64-bit platforms
    as well as the Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) 64-bit builds of
    Python.

    * mxODBC now fully supports the Oracle Instant Client ODBC driver.

    * We have updated the support for the latest IBM DB2 9.7 ODBC
    drivers and enhanced compatibility of mxODBC with the MS SQL
    Server Native Client ODBC driver on Windows and the Sybase ASE 15
    ODBC drivers on Unix.

    * mxODBC 3.1 adds support for large-scale data warehouse databases
    Netezza and Teradata.

    * In addition to the Windows, Mac OS X, iODBC and unixODBC ODBC
    driver managers, we now also include support for the DataDirect
    ODBC manager.

    * The 64-bit support on Unix platforms was updated to support the
    new unixODBC 2.3.0 version.

    * We've improved the documentation on how to connect to various
    popular databases and now include many tips & tricks for each
    database/driver.

    * The Python 2.7 memoryview object is now supported as binary data
    container.

    * We have simplified handling of database warnings using a new
    customizable .warningformat attribute.

    * The catalog methods now accept both Unicode and 8-bit strings as
    parameters.

    * You can now select whether to use ANSI (8-bit) or Unicode ODBC
    APIs in the ODBC drivers, removing unnecessary data conversions
    and enhancing ODBC driver compatibility.

    For the full set of changes please check the mxODBC change log:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/changelog.html

    Feature Highlights
    ------------------

    * Python Database API 2.0 Compliance: the mxODBC API is fully
    Python DB-API 2.0 compatible and implements a large number of
    powerful extensions.

    * Support for all popular ODBC Drivers: mxODBC includes
    adjustments and work-arounds to support MS SQL Server Native
    Client, MS SQL Server ODBC Driver, FreeTDS ODBC Driver, Oracle
    Instant Client ODBC Driver, IBM DB2 ODBC Driver, Sybase ASE ODBC
    Driver, Netezza ODBC Driver, Teradata ODBC Driver, PostgreSQL
    ODBC Driver, MySQL ODBC Driver, .MaxDB ODBC Driver as well as
    the ODBC driver sets of EasySoft, DataDirect, OpenLink, Actual
    Technologies.

    * Support for all popular ODBC Driver Managers: mxODBC comes with
    subpackages for the native Windows and Mac OS X ODBC managers,
    as well as the ODBC managers unixODBC, iODBC and DataDirect,
    which are commonly used on Unix systems.

    * Stable, robust and reliable:the mxODBC API has been in active
    production use for more than 10 years.

    * Full Python Support: mxODBC works with Python 2.4, 2.5, 2.6
    and 2.7.

    * Full 64-bit Support: mxODBC runs on the following 64-bit
    platforms: Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X.

    For the full set of features mxODBC has to offer, please see:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#Features

    New mxODBC Editions
    -------------------

    Due to popular demand, we have extended the set of available mxODBC
    editions and included a new low-cost standard edition. mxODBC is now
    available in thesethree editions:

    * The low-cost Standard Edition which provides data connectivity
    to a selected set of database backends.

    * The Professional Edition, which gives full access to all mxODBC
    features.

    * The Product Development Edition, which allows including mxODBC
    in applications you develop.

    At the same time we have simplified our license terms to clarify the
    situation on multi-core and virtual machines. In most cases, you no
    longer need to purchase more than one license per processor or virtual
    machine, scaling down the overall license costs significantly compared
    to earlier mxODBC releases.

    For a complete overview of the new editions, please see the product page.

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#mxODBCEditions

    DOWNLOADS

    The download archives and instructions for installing the package can
    be found at:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

    In order to use the eGenix mxODBC package you will first need to
    install the eGenix mx Base package:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/

    UPGRADING

    Users are encouraged to upgrade to this latest mxODBC release to
    benefit from the new features and updated ODBC driver support.

    We have taken special care, not to introduce backwards incompatible
    changes, making the upgrade experience as smooth as possible.

    Customers who have purchased mxODBC 3.1 license can continue to use
    their licenses with this patch level release.

    Customers who have purchased mxODBC 2.0, 2.1 or 3.0 licenses can
    upgrade their licenses using the mxODBC Professional Edition Upgrade
    License.

    If you want to try the new release before purchace, you can request
    30-day evaluation licenses by visiting our web-site

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#Evaluation

    or by writing to , stating your name (or the name of
    the company) and the number of eval licenses that you need.

    SUPPORT

    Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.
    Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

    for details about our support offerings.

    INFORMATION

    About Python (http://www.python.org/):

    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
    which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
    clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
    application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for today's IT challenges.

    About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):

    eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
    focusing on expert services and professional quality products for
    companies, Python users and developers.

    Enjoy,
    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, May 25 2011)

    2011-05-23: Released eGenix mx Base 3.2.0 http://python.egenix.com/
    2011-05-25: Released mxODBC 3.1.1 http://python.egenix.com/
    2011-06-20: EuroPython 2011, Florence, Italy 26 days to go

    http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

    eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, May 25, 2011