ANN: eGenix pyOpenSSL Distribution 0.9.0-0.9.8l

Discussion in 'Python' started by eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, Nov 10, 2009.

  1. ________________________________________________________________________

    ANNOUNCING

    eGenix.com pyOpenSSL Distribution

    Version 0.9.0-0.9.8l

    An easy-to-install and easy-to-use distribution
    of the pyOpenSSL Python interface for OpenSSL -
    available for Windows, Mac OS X and Unix platforms

    This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
    http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-pyOpenSSL-Distribution-0.9.0-0.9.8l-1.html

    INTRODUCTION

    The eGenix.com pyOpenSSL Distribution includes everything you need to
    get started with SSL in Python.

    It comes with an easy-to-use installer that includes the most recent
    OpenSSL library versions in pre-compiled form, making your application
    independent of OS provided OpenSSL libraries:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/pyOpenSSL/

    pyOpenSSL is an open-source Python add-on that allows writing SSL/TLS-
    aware network applications as well as certificate management tools:

    http://pyopenssl.sourceforge.net/

    OpenSSL is an open-source implementation of the SSL/TLS protocol:

    http://www.openssl.org/

    NEWS

    This new release of the eGenix.com pyOpenSSL Distribution updates the
    included OpenSSL version to 0.9.8l.

    The new OpenSSL version includes an important work-around for a
    serious problem in TLS, the protocol implemented and used by
    OpenSSL. The Man-in-the-Middle TLS protocol attack was disclosed on
    2009-11-05 and is being tracked as CVE-2009-3555:

    http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7534
    http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-3555

    IMPORTANT: The work-around chosen by the OpenSSL team is to disable
    SSL session renegotiations altogether. This can cause applications
    relying on this feature on the client or server side to fail. You can
    still download the previous version of our pyOpenSSL distribution if
    you run into such problems:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/pyOpenSSL/0.9.0-0.9.8k_1/

    As always, we provide binaries that include both pyOpenSSL and the
    necessary OpenSSL libraries for all supported platforms: Windows x86,
    Linux x86 and x64, Mac OS X PPC and x86.

    Due to popular demand, we've also added .egg-file format versions of
    our eGenix.com pyOpenSSL Distribution for Windows and Linux to the
    available download options. These makes setups using e.g. zc.buildout
    and other egg-file based installers a lot easier.

    DOWNLOADS

    The download archives and instructions for installing the package can
    be found at:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/pyOpenSSL/

    UPGRADING

    Before installing this version of pyOpenSSL, please make sure that
    you uninstall any previously installed pyOpenSSL version. Otherwise,
    you could end up not using the included OpenSSL libs.

    SUPPORT

    Commercial support for these packages is available from eGenix.com.
    Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

    for details about our support offerings.

    INFORMATION

    About Python (http://www.python.org/):

    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
    which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
    clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
    application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for today's IT challenges.

    About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):

    eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
    focusing on expert services and professional quality products for
    companies, Python users and developers.

    Enjoy,
    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Nov 10 2009)

    http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

    eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, Nov 10, 2009