ANN: extprot 0.1.1

Ryan Kelly

Hi All,

Sorry if you get this twice, it seems to have gotten lost on its way
through python-announce.

I'm pleased to announce the first release of the "extprot" python
module. Extprot implements a compact, efficient, extensible and
language-neutral object serialisation protocol.

License: MIT
Downloads: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/extprot/
Source code: http://github.com/rfk/extprot/tree/master

You can think of extprot as something akin to Google's protocol buffers,
with a few extra bytes of serialisation overhead and a Python binding
that doesn't have nearly as many rough edges. For example:

* It's a stand-alone python module, packaged and distributed in
the standard fashion.
* It's friendly to dynamic package management tools like pip.
* It works exclusively with standard Python objects. Declared a
list field? It's a native list object.
* You don't need to compile your protocol definitions.

More on the extprot format itself is here:

http://eigenclass.org/R2/writings/extprot-extensible-protocols-intro

More on my motivations for this package here, if you're interested:

http://www.rfk.id.au/blog/entry/new-python-module-extprot

Enjoy!

Ryan

--