[ANN] FastCST 0.5.2 (Working Repository)

Zed A. Shaw

Hello All,

This is a major release of FastCST (Fast Change Set Tool) which
implements a working repository that actually functions like a version
control tool should. You can grab the release at:

http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/fastcst/

FEATURES

* This release implements a full repository and a set of commands to
manage it.
* It lets you make revisions, apply them, undo them, annotate them, and
share them with others using e-mail or FTP and HTTP.
* The operation is incredibly simple and it runs pretty fast already.
You can either use it straight from the command line, or run in "shell
mode" which makes it easier to do successive commands.
* A very nice feature is that you can write your own commands in Ruby
and then drop them in the .fastcst/plugins directory to get access to
them. This should help people automate and extend the tool to suite
their needs.
- Merging and security are the next big features, as well as more
sophisticated commands to use.

Any suggestions for commands or features is much appreciated.

I would also like to say that Ruby is just awesome. I've spent only
about 1 month working on this, and it's already way more functional than
the original C version. For better or worse I'm actually using it on my
current projects for simple straight-line revisions. There's no way I
could have done this in 3000+ lines of Java.

Zed A. Shaw

Kero

If I were you, I would consider a name change for the project
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascist). Or don't say on your website it
is pronounced as "fascist"...

In VGA-Planets (yes, I mentioned it before), one race is called Fascist,
because of trademark reasons. They're actually Klingon.

So FastCST can be pronounced "Klingon", afaiac.

Bonuspoints if you figure out it's an acronym, as well.

+--- Kero ----------------------- kero@chello@nl ---+
| all the meaningless and empty words I spoke |
| Promises -- The Cranberries |
+--- M38c --- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+

Zed A. Shaw

I guess humor and irony are lost on some folks.

Would you be happy if I said it was pronounced
"fasces" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces )? Even Lincoln liked
those. :)

As a side note, the use of the name "fascist" is actually a dig at other
revision control systems that insist of enforcing a fascist regime run
by developers for developers. The goal is to give the user fascist
control over their own domain, but prevent them controlling anyone else
without their permission. Thus the irony of the project is that the
tool removes fascism by giving individuals control and the freedom to
distribute at will.

But, thanks for the feedback. I know the name sucks but I can't think
of anything else.

Zed

Austin Ziegler

But, thanks for the feedback. I know the name sucks but I can't think
of anything else.

I haven't looked at FastCST, yet, but it always wants to be said
"FastCast" to my eyes.

-austin