[ANN] FastCST 0.6.5 (Mergerific Indexer Release)

Zed A. Shaw

Hello All,

Just announcing yet another release of FastCST to the world: version
0.6.5 the Mergerific Indexer Release. Fast Change Set Tool is a version
control tool written in Ruby that is simple to use, fast, and
extensible.

http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/fastcst/

This release supports a whole whack of new features and actually works
something like a revision control tool:

* Supports merging any revision into an in-progress revision. It
doesn't support conflict resolution yet, so conflicting merges are
rejected.
* A completely redesigned YAML journal format that avoids !ruby objects
in order to prevent security problems with people injecting their own
code into your journals.
* Has a new command "serve" which quickly serves up your repository as
if you published it without having to use FTP. It just uses WEBrick
right out of your repository directory.
* Started implementing a crude "index" feature which lets you index
your source files with suffix arrays, and then search through them
quickly. It's usually faster than grep if you use the shell, but the
current design is not optimal.
* Better help with an actual "help" command! Try ? too!
* All the dependent software is now packaged externally.
* Tested so far on MacOSX, Gentoo, Debian, and ArchLinux.
* A lot more safety features with even more to come.
* The abort command will now let you do a "full" (-f) abort which will
also clean out all the changes you've made.
* The repository layout, filenames, and formats have changed so
previous repositories will be junk. This should be the final repository
layout for a while.
* Support for plugin Commands as well as Triggers which can wrap
commands with before/after actions. Several handy examples.
* An initial cut at a web GUI which is all client side:
http://www.zedshaw.com/fastcst/webgui/ Only works in Firefox, and looks
like crap but shows promise.

I've also written a small 10 Minute Guide going through all the major
features, a FAQ, and a small document on writing plugins.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. Links for those not
interested in reading the front page:

- http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/fastcst/10_minute_guide.xml
- http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/fastcst/writing_plugins.xml
- http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/fastcst/faq.xml