[ANN] Ferret 0.10.7 released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David Balmain, Sep 24, 2006.

  1. Hey folks,

    ** Description **

    Firstly for those who don't know, Ferret is a full-text search library
    which makes adding search to your application a breeze. It's much
    faster than MySQL full-text search as well most other search libraries
    out there. It allows you to do Boolean (+ruby + rails -jewelry) and
    phrase queries ("the quick brown fox") as well as some more unusual
    queries like fuzzy queries (misspelling~ matches mispeling or
    misspellng), wildcard queries (Aus?ral*), range queries
    (date:<=20050601) and a lot more. Ferret also now offers query result
    highlighting and excerpting.

    ** Announcement **

    I've just released Ferret 0.10.7. It is still in beta but we are
    getting closer and closer to a 1.0 release. The main changes in this
    release are better handling of fields by the QueryParser. You can now
    give the QueryParser a list of fields that are tokenized so that only
    those fields will be analyzed in the QueryParser. This means that you
    can search untokenized fields for terms with spaces in them. For
    example:

    results = index.search('title:Shawshank\ Redemption')

    If :title is an untokenized field, this query will be parsed as a
    single TermQuery. Previously the search would have failed.

    I've also changed the StandardTokenizer behaviour so that it will
    handle email addresses that start with numbers. This also means that
    200km will be parsed as a single term instead of seperate terms.
    Whether this is a good thing or not is a matter of taste. You can
    easily use a filter to split these terms up if you need to.

    There are a lot of other bug fixes as well so Ferret should be a
    little more stable.

    Happy Ferreting,
    Dave

    David Balmain, Sep 24, 2006