[ANN] Ferret 0.11.0-rc1

David Balmain

Hey folks,

Sorry for cross posting like this but this is an important
announcement for all Ferret users.

** Description **

Firstly for those who don't know, Ferret is a full-text search library
which makes adding search to your application a breeze. It's much
faster than MySQL full-text search as well most other search libraries
out there. It allows you to do Boolean (+ruby + rails -jewelry) and
phrase queries ("the quick brown fox") as well as some more unusual
queries like fuzzy queries (misspelling~ matches mispeling or
misspellng), wildcard queries (Aus?ral*), range queries
(date:<=20050601) and a lot more. Ferret also now offers query result
highlighting and excerpting.

** Announcement **

I've just released Ferret 0.11.0 which is the first release candidate
for Ferret 1.0. This release has no new features to the API but it
does fix some very major bugs. Ferret now uses lock-less commits which
fixes a problem a lot of people where having with file not found
exceptions. I've also fixed a number of bugs which were causing
segfaults (hopefully all of them) so Ferret is now a lot more stable.

!! IMPORTANT !!

Some of these fixes mean that the current version of Ferret is not
backwards compatible. If you install the latest version you will need
to rebuild your index from scratch. Having said that, I do recommend
that everyone upgrade. The new version should be *MUCH* more stable.

** Try It **

$ sudo gem install ferret