[ANN] ffi-ncurses version 0.3.1

Sean O'Halpin

ffi-ncurses version 0.3.1
by Sean O'Halpin
http://github.com/seanohalpin/ffi-ncurses

== DESCRIPTION

A wrapper for ncurses 5.x. Tested on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and Ubuntu
8.04 with ruby 1.8.6 using ruby-ffi (>= 0.2.0) and JRuby 1.1.6.

This point release fixes a problem with installing as a gem under
JRuby, caused by
the fact that JRuby has a built-in ffi and there does not appear to be a way
to specify per-platform gem dependencies in a gemspec.

To install:

Ruby 1.8.6

$ sudo gem install ffi ffi-ncurses

JRuby 1.1.6

$ jruby -S gem install ffi-ncurses

Basic docs at http://ffi-ncurses.rubyforge.org. See the examples directory for
real working code.

Regards,
Sean

Thomas Enebo

Sean said:
[...]

Sean,

How easy would it be to wire up a compatible curses API (C-extension)
on top of ffi-ncurses? JRuby is still missing this library and for
compatibility-sake it would be nice to have this missing piece added?
The plus if it is not so tough is we would end up making ffi-ncurses a
distribution gem for JRuby too :)

-Tom

Sean O'Halpin

Sean,

How easy would it be to wire up a compatible curses API (C-extension) on
top of ffi-ncurses? JRuby is still missing this library and for
compatibility-sake it would be nice to have this missing piece added? The
plus if it is not so tough is we would end up making ffi-ncurses a
distribution gem for JRuby too :)

-Tom

Hi Tom,

It's on my roadmap. I'm planning to add an Ncurses compatibility layer
(but without the Menu and Forms interfaces to start with).

Regards,
Sean

Thomas Enebo

Sean said:
Hi Tom,

It's on my roadmap. I'm planning to add an Ncurses compatibility layer
(but without the Menu and Forms interfaces to start with).

Regards,
Sean
Cool beans. We wish an army of ffi-lovers would come up and rewrite
most of the thin-layer shim extensions... We are spread pretty thin.
Thanks Sean...

-Tom