[ANN] ffi-ncurses version 0.3.1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Sean O'Halpin, Feb 16, 2009.

  1. ffi-ncurses version 0.3.1
    by Sean O'Halpin
    http://github.com/seanohalpin/ffi-ncurses

    == DESCRIPTION

    A wrapper for ncurses 5.x. Tested on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and Ubuntu
    8.04 with ruby 1.8.6 using ruby-ffi (>= 0.2.0) and JRuby 1.1.6.

    This point release fixes a problem with installing as a gem under
    JRuby, caused by
    the fact that JRuby has a built-in ffi and there does not appear to be a way
    to specify per-platform gem dependencies in a gemspec.

    To install:

    Ruby 1.8.6

    $ sudo gem install ffi ffi-ncurses

    JRuby 1.1.6

    $ jruby -S gem install ffi-ncurses

    Basic docs at http://ffi-ncurses.rubyforge.org. See the examples directory for
    real working code.

    Regards,
    Sean

    Sean O'Halpin, Feb 16, 2009

  2. Sean O'Halpin

    Thomas Enebo Guest

    Sean O'Halpin wrote:
    > ffi-ncurses version 0.3.1
    > by Sean O'Halpin
    > http://github.com/seanohalpin/ffi-ncurses
    >
    > == DESCRIPTION
    >
    > A wrapper for ncurses 5.x. Tested on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and Ubuntu
    > 8.04 with ruby 1.8.6 using ruby-ffi (>= 0.2.0) and JRuby 1.1.6.
    >
    > This point release fixes a problem with installing as a gem under
    > JRuby, caused by
    > the fact that JRuby has a built-in ffi and there does not appear to be a way
    > to specify per-platform gem dependencies in a gemspec.
    >
    > To install:
    >
    > Ruby 1.8.6
    >
    > $ sudo gem install ffi ffi-ncurses
    >
    > JRuby 1.1.6
    >
    > $ jruby -S gem install ffi-ncurses
    >
    > Basic docs at http://ffi-ncurses.rubyforge.org. See the examples directory for
    > real working code.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sean

    Sean,

    How easy would it be to wire up a compatible curses API (C-extension)
    on top of ffi-ncurses? JRuby is still missing this library and for
    compatibility-sake it would be nice to have this missing piece added?
    The plus if it is not so tough is we would end up making ffi-ncurses a
    distribution gem for JRuby too :)

    -Tom

    Thomas Enebo, Feb 17, 2009

  3. On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Thomas Enebo <> wrote:

    > Sean,
    >
    > How easy would it be to wire up a compatible curses API (C-extension) on
    > top of ffi-ncurses? JRuby is still missing this library and for
    > compatibility-sake it would be nice to have this missing piece added? The
    > plus if it is not so tough is we would end up making ffi-ncurses a
    > distribution gem for JRuby too :)
    >
    > -Tom

    Hi Tom,

    It's on my roadmap. I'm planning to add an Ncurses compatibility layer
    (but without the Menu and Forms interfaces to start with).

    Regards,
    Sean

    Sean O'Halpin, Feb 17, 2009
  4. Sean O'Halpin

    Thomas Enebo Guest

    Sean O'Halpin wrote:
    > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Thomas Enebo <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sean,
    >>
    >> How easy would it be to wire up a compatible curses API (C-extension) on
    >> top of ffi-ncurses? JRuby is still missing this library and for
    >> compatibility-sake it would be nice to have this missing piece added? The
    >> plus if it is not so tough is we would end up making ffi-ncurses a
    >> distribution gem for JRuby too :)
    >>
    >> -Tom
    >>

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > It's on my roadmap. I'm planning to add an Ncurses compatibility layer
    > (but without the Menu and Forms interfaces to start with).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sean

    Cool beans. We wish an army of ffi-lovers would come up and rewrite
    most of the thin-layer shim extensions... We are spread pretty thin.
    Thanks Sean...

    -Tom

    Thomas Enebo, Feb 17, 2009