[ANN] First public release of RubyJS (0.7.0)

Michael Neumann

Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the first public release of RubyJS (a Ruby to
Javascript compiler) and the availability of RubyJS as a RubyGem:

gem install rubyjs

rubyjs -h

Usage: rubyjs_gen [options] [file, [file, ...]]
-r, --require LIBRARY Require the LIBRARY before
executing your script
-I, --load-path DIRECTORY Specifies load path
-P, --platform PLATFORM Specifies platform
-m, --main CLASSNAME Entry point
-e, --eval STRING Eval code
-a, --append JSCODE Append Javascript code
-o, --output FILE Filename to write output to
-O, --opt OPTION Set a specific compiler option
--show-options Show all compiler options
-d, --debug Turn on debug mode
-h, --help Show this message

To see it "live", execute it's test-suite inside your browser:

http://www.ntecs.de/projects/rubyjs/test/browser.test.html

Or go to it's project page (where you can't see much atm):

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyjs

Right now there are only two (small) examples (which you can find in the
examples/ directory of the distribution):

http://www.ntecs.de/projects/rubyjs/examples/hw/index.html
http://www.ntecs.de/projects/rubyjs/examples/ex1/index.html

The generated Javascript code has been tested on a variety of browsers,
including Firefox 2.x, Opera 9, Internet Explorer 7, Safari 3 (and
Safari 2, Konqueror in the past). It even runs on a mobile phone as
is demonstrated here:

http://www.ntecs.de/blog/articles/2008/04/10/rubyjs-goes-mobile

There is a Google Summer of Code project application (which I hope will
be accepted), whose plan is to port Google Web Toolkit to RubyJS.

Best regards,

Michael