[ANN] First public release of RubyJS (0.7.0)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Michael Neumann, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. Hi,

    I'm pleased to announce the first public release of RubyJS (a Ruby to
    Javascript compiler) and the availability of RubyJS as a RubyGem:

    gem install rubyjs

    rubyjs -h

    Usage: rubyjs_gen [options] [file, [file, ...]]
    -r, --require LIBRARY Require the LIBRARY before
    executing your script
    -I, --load-path DIRECTORY Specifies load path
    -P, --platform PLATFORM Specifies platform
    -m, --main CLASSNAME Entry point
    -e, --eval STRING Eval code
    -a, --append JSCODE Append Javascript code
    -o, --output FILE Filename to write output to
    -O, --opt OPTION Set a specific compiler option
    --show-options Show all compiler options
    -d, --debug Turn on debug mode
    -h, --help Show this message

    To see it "live", execute it's test-suite inside your browser:

    http://www.ntecs.de/projects/rubyjs/test/browser.test.html

    Or go to it's project page (where you can't see much atm):

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyjs

    Right now there are only two (small) examples (which you can find in the
    examples/ directory of the distribution):

    http://www.ntecs.de/projects/rubyjs/examples/hw/index.html
    http://www.ntecs.de/projects/rubyjs/examples/ex1/index.html

    The generated Javascript code has been tested on a variety of browsers,
    including Firefox 2.x, Opera 9, Internet Explorer 7, Safari 3 (and
    Safari 2, Konqueror in the past). It even runs on a mobile phone as
    is demonstrated here:

    http://www.ntecs.de/blog/articles/2008/04/10/rubyjs-goes-mobile

    There is a Google Summer of Code project application (which I hope will
    be accepted), whose plan is to port Google Web Toolkit to RubyJS.

    Best regards,

    Michael

    Michael Neumann, Apr 10, 2008