[ANN] Forthcoming 2nd ed. of _The Ruby Way_

rubyhacker

Hello, all.

Thought I might as well announce this "officially" as many people
know it already.

The ink is dry on the contract, and I am working on a second edition
of _The Ruby Way_. Expect to see it second quarter of 2006.

To summarize: About 100 pages deleted, about 250 pages added.
Updated from 1.6.8 to 1.8.4 (or thereabout).

If you have comments or suggestions, feel free to make them.

I can't cover everything, but I want to cover the important and
interesting
stuff (as time and space permit). If you see it in the "keyword soup"
below, it's under consideration. If you think I've forgotten something
important, please tell me in email.

Thanks,
Hal Fulton

Keyword soup:
Rockit racc rbison io/nonblock readpartial StringIO csv Oniguruma
Madeleine Oracle DBI LDAP ORMs (AR, Og, etc.) define_method
const_missing
JTTUI Qt One-click installer EXERB imap pop3 SSL ssh tunnelling OpenURI
NNTP WEBrick Redcloth Bluecloth etc. fastcgi Ruby on Rails Nitro
amrita
borges cgi-kit narf cerise SOAP REST WebDAV XML-RPC Okay (YAML)
Rinda and Ring CORBA REXML irb Test::Unit xmp pp rcov generator
enumerator
OSX KirbyBase Cocoa YAML iCal etc. vCard RSS RDF RMagick Flash (Alph)
PDF Rake mkmf extconf.rb SWIG Ruby/DL CVS Subversion gnuplot Mozilla
Java .NET RDoc RubyGems setup.rb RAA RubyForge ri vim emacs Scite
FreeRIDE RDE ArachnoRuby Komodo Eclipse Blog tools Wiki tools RCRs

Jim Freeze

Hello, all.

The ink is dry on the contract, and I am working on a second edition
of _The Ruby Way_. Expect to see it second quarter of 2006.
Congrats

I can't cover everything, but I want to cover the important and
interesting
stuff (as time and space permit). If you see it in the "keyword soup"
below, it's under consideration. If you think I've forgotten something
important, please tell me in email.

CommandLine and its children: Application, Option, OptionParser and OptionD=
ata.

James Edward Gray II

Hello, all.

Thought I might as well announce this "officially" as many people
know it already.

The ink is dry on the contract, and I am working on a second edition
of _The Ruby Way_. Expect to see it second quarter of 2006.

This is just fantastic news. The old version is quite out of date
and yet still my second favorite Ruby book!
Keyword soup:
...csv...

I realize this is tooting my own horn, but it would be great if
FasterCSV[1] made it in there if only as a footnote. I know it's not
a standard library, but it reads and writes just fine and is almost 9
times faster than the standard library. This might be important
since I've seen multiple complaints about CSV speed here and on Ruby
Core.

I'm also hard at work adding cool new features to it that should be
in long before the book is ready. Features not yet is CSV. :)

End advertisement. We now return you to your regular programming.

James Edward Gray II

1: http://rubyforge.org/projects/fastercsv/

Jeff Wood

... Please be sure to provide it in PDF form... That's how I have my
current edition and I really appreciate it.

j.

[...]

Tanner Burson

[...]

At least a small section on Rake would be excellent.

Hal Fulton

Joe said:
I think it's under consideration, considering that Rake is in that
'keyword soup'.

Yep, should have alphabetized it. But then it wouldn't be soup,
would it? :)

Hal

"There's a message in my AlphaBits! It says, 'OOOOOO'!"
"Those are CheeriOs."
-- _Family Guy_

Bill Guindon

Yep, should have alphabetized it. But then it wouldn't be soup,
would it? :)

Sure it would. It would be alphabet soup ;)

Any chance of it following the prag prog's beta book release method?

Either way, looking forward to it.

Eero Saynatkari

Hal said:
Yep, should have alphabetized it. But then it wouldn't be soup,
would it? :)

First, one more congratulatory note: congrats! :)

The few exciting and very soupy technologies I could
think of off-hand are SCGI, RubyScript2Exe and the
whole ParseTree/Ruby2C cadre.

A footnote of such alternatives as Rant and Wee might
be well-received, too!
Hal

"There's a message in my AlphaBits! It says, 'OOOOOO'!"
"Those are CheeriOs."
-- _Family Guy_

*Dashes off to purchase season 3*

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

[...]

Impressive list of topics! i will buy this book in a heart beat!

Cheers-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
(e-mail address removed)
509-577-7732

Hal Fulton

Ezra said:
Impressive list of topics! i will buy this book in a heart beat!

Thank you.

Let me clarify, though, lest anyone misunderstand -- not all of these
topics will be covered in depth. Depending on time and pages and so on,
some may barely be mentioned.

That's one reason I want assistance in prioritizing things. In addition,
some of these I know little about, and will have to learn within the
next ninety days or so, or just skip them.

Hal

Phil Tomson

[...]

That's good news!
My own 2cents:

I especially like chapter 5 (OOP and Dynamicity in Ruby) in the current
edition of TRW. I hope that perhaps a similar chapter on metaprogramming can
be added.

Also: I would like to see the second edition stick to advanced Ruby
programming topics/philosophy and mostly stay away from specific libraries (so
basically staying away from a lot of the things you list above ;-) Why do I
say this: because the title 'The Ruby Way' implies that you're going to impart
the philosophy of Ruby programming. Your introduction leads to this as well.
But if you start loading up with too many specific libraries/etc. then it
starts looking less and less like 'The Ruby Way' and more like a tour of
Ruby libraries. A lot of items in the "keyword soup" are ephemeral -
is Rockit really being maintained and used at this point, for example? (and
what about Grammar?) I think you should focus on things that are not
ephemeral in Ruby.

Gems and Rake would be two 'externals' that should be included though, as they
are either becoming central to or exemplify The Ruby Way (Rake could be
covered as an example of metaprogramming, for example). Onigurma deserves
coverage because it will be the new regex engine. I'd like to see more
advanced coverage of things like using the various callbacks (included,
inherited, etc.), metaprogramming, functional Ruby (stuff like what's in the
"Higher order Perl" book).

Leave specific GUI toolkits like Tk, or Qt to another book...

I really like "The Ruby Way"; I would like to see it move more in the
direction of "The Ruby Way: Advanced Ruby Programming Techniques" or something
like that... as opposed to "The Ruby Way: A brief look at lots of
libraries(many of which will be obsolete by this time next year)".

Phil

Kev Jackson

I really like "The Ruby Way"; I would like to see it move more in the
direction of "The Ruby Way: Advanced Ruby Programming Techniques" or something
like that... as opposed to "The Ruby Way: A brief look at lots of
libraries(many of which will be obsolete by this time next year)".
Although I haven't read the ruby way, I'd prefer to see a coverage of
more advanced programming techniques in Ruby, instead of a brief
overview of Library X,Y,Z, but then again how do you define advanced?
My idea of advanced is Dwemthy's Array (which I actually just got my
head around this week).

my 2 vitenamese dong (roughly 2/15000 c)
Kev

Leslie Viljoen

I know it's a long shot but the only thing I have found missing
from "the Ruby way" so far has been something on graphics -
ie. Ruby SDL etc. I'd love to see some pointers on that.

Leslie

George Moschovitis

Great to hear :)

I really loved the original book. If you need any help with Nitro/Og
don't hesitate to contact me ;-)

-g.

Jack Christensen

Phil said:
[...]

+1. I'd also be much more interested in pure, advanced Ruby rather than
specifics of this or that library.

Jack

Brian Buckley

------=_Part_3096_16479692.1134653413112

I bought your first book. Loved it.

I'm anxious to see the 100 pages you plan on deleting. Always good to know
the things to unlearn too.

Brian

------=_Part_3096_16479692.1134653413112--

Takashi Sano

Hi,

2005/12/15 said:
[...]

My 2 yen for all the above.

To add the list, I would like to see a chapter or section on interface
- what is and how to create clean API in ruby.

Takashi Sano

James Edward Gray II

That's one reason I want assistance in prioritizing things. In
addition,
some of these I know little about, and will have to learn within the
next ninety days or so, or just skip them.

Can you use the community? Together we know a fair amount. ;)

James Edward Gray II