[ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

henon (meinrad recheis)

foxGUIb is an interactive gui builder for fxruby written entirely in Ruby.
It does not require much knowledge of the FXRuby API and therefore is
also a good start for fxruby newbies. foxGUIb is a completely redesigned
and rewritten version of the fox-tool project.

Check out the Project Wiki for details and documentation.

http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?

or the project site at rubyforge

http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/fox-tool

I have been using foxGUIb myself for a about a year at work before I
prepared it for release to the public. I consider it especially useful
because you can tweak your fxruby user interfaces interactively and that
preserves a lot of time, fox-api reading and finger typing.

-henon

Luis G. Gómez

I get:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from ./__FX__.rb:1
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require__'
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from foxGUIb.rbw:12

When trying to run foxGUIb.rbw

Any sugestions?

henon (meinrad recheis)

Luis said:
I get:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from ./__FX__.rb:1
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require__'
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from foxGUIb.rbw:12

When trying to run foxGUIb.rbw

Any sugestions?

your failure messages look very strange to me, however:
`require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)

obviously ruby doesn't find FXRuby. it might not be installed on your
system. would it be installed ruby's require should find "fox"

hth,
- henon

Kaspar Schiess

Hello,
Any sugestions?
Have you installed the Fox GUI library successfully ? Did you try running a
few examples ? What operating system are you running this on ? What Ruby
version ?

In particular, if you type
require 'fox'
in irb, do you get a 'true' back ?

I think this will help us answering your question.

kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Matthew Margolis

I can run foxGUIb fine but I can not run the generated code. I get an
error in regards to
require 'FX'

I have looked over the FXRuby site and the Fox site to figure out what
FX is part of but I am having no luck. Anyone care to help out a gui noob?

Thank you,
Matt Margolis

henon (meinrad recheis)

Matthew said:
I can run foxGUIb fine but I can not run the generated code. I get an
error in regards to
require 'FX'

you find "FX.rb" in the directory foxGUIb/FX/fxrelease. This is my
fault. i should have mentioned in the readme. However it is mentioned in
the UsersGuide on the Project-Wiki.
regards,
- henon

Bill Atkins

Very well done. The UI is well-designed, the code generator works.
Good deal. It would be neat if userscould run the generated code from
within foxGUib.

Bill

Curt Hibbs

If you have FXRuby 1.0.29 or earlier, you do a require "fox". If you have
FXRuby 1.2.2, you must do a require "fox12". Perhaps this is the problem.

Curt

henon (meinrad recheis)

Curt said:
If you have FXRuby 1.0.29 or earlier, you do a require "fox". If you have
FXRuby 1.2.2, you must do a require "fox12". Perhaps this is the problem.

Curt

Thanks for pointing this out. foxGUIb is currently based on FXRuby
1.0.29. I did never test it with FXRuby 1.2.2.

Porting to the new FXRuby version is one of the next big tasks for me.
- henon

Lothar Scholz

Hello henon,

hmr> foxGUIb is an interactive gui builder for fxruby written entirely in Ruby.
hmr> It does not require much knowledge of the FXRuby API and therefore is
hmr> also a good start for fxruby newbies. foxGUIb is a completely redesigned
hmr> and rewritten version of the fox-tool project.

Can you pleaaaase implement Drag & Drop in the Widget Tree.
And a cut command (instead of a copy/delete).

Michael Neumann

Curt said:
If you have FXRuby 1.0.29 or earlier, you do a require "fox". If you have
FXRuby 1.2.2, you must do a require "fox12". Perhaps this is the problem.

That doesn't work with RubyGems! I've installed fxruby (1.2.2). Does
anyone have the same problem?

Regards,

Michael

henon (meinrad recheis)

Lothar said:
Hello henon,

hmr> foxGUIb is an interactive gui builder for fxruby written entirely in Ruby.
hmr> It does not require much knowledge of the FXRuby API and therefore is
hmr> also a good start for fxruby newbies. foxGUIb is a completely redesigned
hmr> and rewritten version of the fox-tool project.

Can you pleaaaase implement Drag & Drop in the Widget Tree.

thanks for that suggestion. i didn't do it until now because it is not
as easy as it sounds. if i can find a way to implement this in ruby upon
the FXTreeList widget i will definitely do it. would make things a lot
easier ;)
And a cut command (instead of a copy/delete).

ok, that's no problem.

- henon

Curt Hibbs

Michael said:
the problem.

That doesn't work with RubyGems! I've installed fxruby (1.2.2). Does
anyone have the same problem?

If your using the RubyGems version of FXRuby, then you also need to require
"rubygems" first (or start ruby with the "-rubygems" option).

The FXRuby lib is named "fox.so" in FxRuby 1.0.29, but in 1.2.2 it has been
named "fox12.so".

Curt

Martin DeMello

henon (meinrad recheis) said:
Thanks for pointing this out. foxGUIb is currently based on FXRuby
1.0.29. I did never test it with FXRuby 1.2.2.

Porting to the new FXRuby version is one of the next big tasks for me.

FWIW, it doesn't currently work with 1.2 - I got the following (after
changing all 'require fox' to 'require fox12') :

$ ruby foxGUIb.rbw
../FX/fxbase.rb:386: uninitialized constant Fox::FXMenubar (NameError)
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `r
equire__'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `r
equire'
from ./__FX__.rb:6
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `r
equire__'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `r
equire'
from foxGUIb.rbw:12

This is with the latest one-click installer.

martin

jim

I get:

% ruby -I .:./FX:./gui foxGUIb.rbw
./FX/fxbase.rb:487: undefined superclass `FXScintilla' (TypeError)
from ./__FX__.rb:6:in `require'
from ./__FX__.rb:6
from foxGUIb.rbw:12:in `require'
from foxGUIb.rbw:12

Where do I get FXScintilla?

Michael Neumann

Curt said:
If your using the RubyGems version of FXRuby, then you also need to require
"rubygems" first (or start ruby with the "-rubygems" option).

Sure, I do that. I'm running RubyGems 0.8.4.

If I remove both "s.autorequire" and "s.require_paths" from it's
gemspec, and add 'ext/fox12.so' to the "s.files" list, then it works!
Seems to be a RubyGems bug!

Regards,

Michael

Michael Neumann

Michael said:
Sure, I do that. I'm running RubyGems 0.8.4.

If I remove both "s.autorequire" and "s.require_paths" from it's
gemspec, and add 'ext/fox12.so' to the "s.files" list, then it works!
Seems to be a RubyGems bug!

No sorry. It does not work. It loads the gem, but not the fox12.so.

Regards,

Michael

Richard Lyman

When I wrote my own GUI builder for FXRuby, I just used 4 keys to
'drag-and-drop'.

Left-Arrow => Reparent as next sibling under old parent.
Right-Arrow => Reparent as last sibling under old previous sibling.
Down-Arrow => Move to after next sibling. If last child then don't change.
Up-Arrow => Move to before previous sibling. If first child then don't change.

Coded it up in a few minutes, works like a charm, and IMO it's easier
when dealing with a tree structure.

I also used WASD for the tree navigation when I didn't want to select
a different node.

... I really need to rewrite it for Debian now that I'm off Win2k...
sigh... not enough time.

Probably going to wait to rewrite it for the
next-great-gui-kit-framework-thingie.

-Rich