[ANN] FreeRIDE 0.6.0-1 -- a Windows Update

Curt Hibbs

Until now, the FreeRIDE debugger did not work under windows. We now have a
maintenance release of FreeRIDE for Windows with a working debugger! Many
thanks for Mark Watson for discovering the solution.

There have been no changes to FreeRIDE itself. FreeRIDE on Windows has
always used its own private copy of Ruby to run FreeRIDE. This private copy
of Ruby has been upgraded to Ruby 1.8.1 and FXRuby 1.0.28.

For details and downloads, go to:

http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

=== FreeRIDE Overview ===

FreeRIDE aims to be a full-featured, first-class IDE on a par with those
available for other languages, with all the best-of-breed features that you
would expect in a high-end IDE.

Some of FreeRIDE's current features include:

* Multi-file editing
* Syntax highlighting
* Auto-indenting
* Code Folding
* Source navigation by module, class, method, etc.
* Integrated debugging
* Written in Ruby for easy extension

Some planned features include:

* Full internationalization
* High-end refactoring support
* Remote pair programming

Mark Watson

Lyle Johnson said:
I haven't made any changes to FXRuby to try to accomodate the problem,
whatever it was (is). Is the fix then due to upgrading to Ruby 1.8.1?

Im not sure whether upgrading to Ruby 1.8.1 'fixed' the problem or if
it was the fact that I compiled it with visual c++ 7.1. The 1.8.1
pragprog installer version of ruby doesnt seem to work.

I say 'fixed' because this seems like a really dodgy workaround :)

Also Lyle, I have a question. Would mixing c++ runtimes cause
problems for ruby's garbage collector? i.e. if an object is alloc'ed
in FXRuby with the vc++6 runtime then you could potentially get a
crash if ruby free's it with the vc++7 runtime.

Jon A. Lambert

Curt Hibbs said:
Until now, the FreeRIDE debugger did not work under windows. We now have a
maintenance release of FreeRIDE for Windows with a working debugger! Many
thanks for Mark Watson for discovering the solution.

The debugger appears to crash when executing an eval, here's wot I tried debugging:

class A
def initialize
eval("@a = Hash.new")
end
end

b = A.new

I'm running on Windows XP- SP1

Here's the trace left in the console:

C:\Program Files\FreeRIDE>freeruby-win\bin\ruby.exe -I. -Iso -Iredist freeride.rb
c:/ruby/frdebugtest.rb on druby://agamemnon:1339 attached.
C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/redist/drb/drb.rb:497:in `proc': return jump can't across threads (ThreadError)
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/redist/drb/drb.rb:451:in `loop'
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/redist/drb/drb.rb:500:in `proc'
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/redist/drb/drb.rb:450:in `start'
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/redist/drb/drb.rb:450:in `proc'
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/redist/drb/drb.rb:419:in `run'
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/redist/drb/drb.rb:416:in `start'
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/redist/drb/drb.rb:416:in `run'
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/redist/drb/drb.rb:377:in `initialize'
... 23 levels...
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/freebase/lib/freebase/core.rb:35:in `new'
from C:/Program Files/FreeRIDE/freebase/lib/freebase/core.rb:35:in `startup'
from freeride.rb:80:in `startup'
from freeride.rb:92

Laza

I have just downloaded FreeRIDE, and it could not debug. I tried a console
app, and a GTK app.

Also, why FreeRIDE does NOT support breakpoints?
Is there a hook in the interpreter for the breakpoints?
I tried using -rdebug before, but this makes the program too slow. -rdebug
callbacks are definitelly not meant for debugging.