[ANN] FreeRIDE 0.6.0 Final Released!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Curt Hibbs, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Version 0.6.0 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for download!
    For details and downloads, go to:

    http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

    This is primarily a maintenance release. Lot's of bugs have been fixed and
    some code refactoring was done to provide a better platform for future
    development. There were also a number of editing and navigation
    enhancements. Among the most significant additions were Find & Replace and
    Code-Folding (see the ChangeLog? for a complete list). you can download
    FreeRIDE [here].

    The Window's version still runs FreeRIDE with its own private copy of Ruby
    (that will not interfere with your installed version), but this private copy
    of Ruby is now version 1.8.0.

    === FreeRIDE Overview ===

    FreeRIDE aims to be a full-featured, first-class IDE on a par with those
    available for other languages, with all the best-of-breed features that you
    would expect in a high-end IDE.

    Some of FreeRIDE's features include:

    * Multi-file editing
    * Syntax highlighting
    * Auto-indenting
    * Code Folding
    * Source navigation by module, class, method, etc.
    * Integrated debugging
    * Written in Ruby for easy extension

    Some planned features include:
    * Full internationalization
    * High-end refactoring support
    * Remote pair programming

    In its current state, FreeRIDE cannot yet be called a real IDE. What is does
    have is a stable infrastructure with all the working plumbing needed for the
    hordes of anxious Ruby developers that want to create plugins to extend the
    functionality of FreeRIDE. The FreeRIDE team will be working on such
    FreeRIDE plugins that we will individually release to incrementally improve
    the FreeRIDE system. Periodically we will rollup these added plugins into
    new releases of FreeRIDE.

    Even if you have not officially joined the FreeRIDE team you can still
    create plugins for you own use, share them with others, or send them to us
    and we will make them available for download from our project wiki. We may
    even ask for your permission to include them in the FreeRIDE core
    distribution.

    Curt Hibbs, Nov 7, 2003

  2. On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 02:10:46 +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:

    > Version 0.6.0 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for download!
    > For details and downloads, go to:
    >
    > http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

    Great.. I better try it out

    > Some planned features include:
    > * Remote pair programming

    Did you got inspired from AEditor ? ;-)

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Nov 7, 2003

  3. On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:02:02 -0600, Lyle Johnson wrote:

    > Simon Strandgaard wrote:
    >
    >>> Some planned features include:
    >>> * Remote pair programming

    >> Did you got inspired from AEditor ? ;-)

    > This has been on the list of plans for FreeRIDE pretty much since its
    > inception (see the FreeRIDE Wiki at
    > http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?HomePage). Maybe AEditor got
    > inspired by FreeRIDE ;)

    AEditor was initiated before I knew Ruby and FreeRide, but admitted it wasn't
    the initial goal. Now its the main goal, to become a non-remote
    pair-programming-editor. You have humor :)

    Im interested in all kinds of interesting questions.. you don't have to
    answer. Please contribute with more questions (philosophy :)

    non-remote pair-programming
    ===========================

    If you exercise pair-programming with a typical editor, what kind of
    problems will you then experience?

    How can an editor assist with pair programming?

    When not being in the coder-role, what makes you loose track?

    remote pair-programming
    =======================

    Is VoiceOverIP sufficient to communicate? or will you need video?

    If you work on the same buffer, how to deal with undo/redo?

    If you don't work on the same buffer, is it then pair-programming?

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Nov 8, 2003
  4. "Curt Hibbs" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > The Window's version still runs FreeRIDE with its own private copy of Ruby
    > (that will not interfere with your installed version), but this private copy
    > of Ruby is now version 1.8.0.

    Does the debugger normally work on Win32 ? I ask because on my system
    it freezes the IDE and i have to kill FreeRide via the task manager.

    Lothar Scholz, Nov 10, 2003
  5. il 9 Nov 2003 22:54:19 -0800, (Lothar Scholz) ha
    scritto::

    >"Curt Hibbs" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> The Window's version still runs FreeRIDE with its own private copy of Ruby
    >> (that will not interfere with your installed version), but this private copy
    >> of Ruby is now version 1.8.0.

    >Does the debugger normally work on Win32 ? I ask because on my system
    >it freezes the IDE and i have to kill FreeRide via the task manager.

    still not, I'm afraid :(

    gabriele renzi, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Curt Hibbs

    Alan Davies Guest

    gabriele renzi wrote:
    > il 9 Nov 2003 22:54:19 -0800, (Lothar Scholz) ha
    > scritto::
    >

    >>"Curt Hibbs" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>

    >>>The Window's version still runs FreeRIDE with its own private copy of Ruby
    >>>(that will not interfere with your installed version), but this private copy
    >>>of Ruby is now version 1.8.0.

    >>Does the debugger normally work on Win32 ? I ask because on my system
    >>it freezes the IDE and i have to kill FreeRide via the task manager.

    > still not, I'm afraid :(

    Any idea when this will be working? This is the only thing preventing
    me from using FreeRIDE!

    Alan Davies, Nov 11, 2003
  7. il Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:36:35 +0000, Alan Davies
    <> ha scritto::

    >Any idea when this will be working? This is the only thing preventing
    >me from using FreeRIDE!

    Not so soon, I'm afraid.
    look here
    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/freeride-devel/2003-10/msg00008.html
    to read the relative messages in the FR mailing list.
    BTW, I suppose if you want to hack freeride to fix this it would be
    really appreciated :)

    Remember that this is ruby code not some ugly obfuscated language :)

    gabriele renzi, Nov 11, 2003
  8. Curt Hibbs

    Joey Gibson Guest

    Alan Davies wrote:

    > Any idea when this will be working? This is the only thing preventing
    > me from using FreeRIDE!

    If you need a debugger, the RDT project for Eclipse works pretty well. I
    haven't done any extensive debugging with it, but what I've tried works.

    Joey

    Joey Gibson, Nov 17, 2003