[ANN] FreeRIDE 0.7.0 Released!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Curt Hibbs, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Version 0.7.0 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for download!

    For details and downloads, go to:

    http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

    Many bugs have been fixed and there is also a bunch of new features
    (Experimental code Refactoring, Preferences plugin available, Debugger
    fully functional on Linux and Windows...)

    The Window's version still runs FreeRIDE with its own private copy of
    Ruby (that will not interfere with your installed version), but this
    private copy of Ruby is now version 1.8.2 preview 2.

    Linux users will find both a tgz and a rpm file ready for use with
    your own copy of Ruby.

    === FreeRIDE Overview ===

    FreeRIDE aims to be a full-featured, first-class IDE on a par with
    those available for other languages, with all the best-of-breed
    features that you would expect in a high-end IDE.

    Some of FreeRIDE's features include:

    * Multi-file editing
    * Syntax highlighting
    * Auto-indenting
    * Code Folding
    * Source navigation by module, class, method, etc.
    * Integrated debugging
    * Written in Ruby for easy extension

    Some planned features include:
    * Full internationalization
    * High-end refactoring support
    * Remote pair programming

    In its current state, FreeRIDE cannot yet be called a real IDE. What
    is does have is a stable infrastructure with all the working plumbing
    needed for the hordes of anxious Ruby developers that want to create
    plugins to extend the functionality of FreeRIDE. The FreeRIDE team
    will be working on such FreeRIDE plugins that we will individually
    release to incrementally improve the FreeRIDE system. Periodically we
    will rollup these added plugins into new releases of FreeRIDE.

    Even if you have not officially joined the FreeRIDE team you can still
    create plugins for you own use, share them with others, or send them
    to us and we will make them available for download from our project
    wiki. We may even ask for your permission to include them in the
    FreeRIDE core distribution.

    Curt Hibbs, Aug 19, 2004