[ANN] FreeRIDE 0.9.0 Released!

Curt Hibbs

Version 0.9.0 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for download!

For details and downloads, go to:

http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

Many bug fixes in this release especially on the Windows platform. There are
also some new features: all dock panes can now be dock and undocked,
Debugger and Script Runner works better on Win32, debugged process can be
run in a console for Windows users to see the process output...

Have fun! And, as always, feedback and contributions are welcome.

=== FreeRIDE Overview ===

FreeRIDE aims to be a full-featured, first-class IDE on a par with
those available for other languages, with all the best-of-breed
features that you would expect in a high-end IDE.

Some of FreeRIDE's features include:

* Multi-file editing
* Syntax highlighting
* Auto-indenting
* Code Folding
* Source navigation by module, class, method, etc.
* Integrated debugging
* Written in Ruby for easy extension

Some planned features include:
* Full internationalization
* High-end refactoring support
* Remote pair programming

In its current state, FreeRIDE cannot yet be called a real IDE. What
is does have is a stable infrastructure with all the working plumbing
needed for the hordes of anxious Ruby developers that want to create
plugins to extend the functionality of FreeRIDE. The FreeRIDE team
will be working on such FreeRIDE plugins that we will individually
release to incrementally improve the FreeRIDE system. Periodically we
will rollup these added plugins into new releases of FreeRIDE.

Even if you have not officially joined the FreeRIDE team you can still
create plugins for you own use, share them with others, or send them
to us and we will make them available for download from our project
wiki. We may even ask for your permission to include them in the
FreeRIDE core distribution.

gabriele renzi

Curt Hibbs ha scritto:

Have fun! And, as always, feedback and contributions are welcome.

thanks for this release, it includes many of the improvements I've been
waiting (i.e. code folding).

BTW I don't know if this is considered a bug, mostly because the usage
of RRB is quite obscure.. but on a source like this:

class K
def initialize(myval)
@foo= @foo * 2
return myval
end
attr_accessor :foo
def superbaz
@foo= @foo * 2
end
end

extracting "@foo= @foo * 2" as "foo_doubler" results in:

class K
def foo_doubler()
@foo= @foo * 2
end
def initialize(myval)
foo_doubler()
return myval
end
attr_accessor :foo
def superbaz
@foo= @foo * 2
end
end

so just an occurrence gets changed, while the refactoring could extend
to the second one. Is this the expected behaviour?

Also, why are you still redisting rexml in the tar.gz file ?

Laurent Julliard

gabriele said:
Curt Hibbs ha scritto:

[...]

Definitely not. This is a bug. Can you fill out a bug report at
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=add&group_id=31&atid=202 (login
first if you have alogin) and don't forget to copy paste the sample code.

Also, why are you still redisting rexml in the tar.gz file ?

Huummm... I cannot find any good reason other than us being too lazy
on doing clean up. Will remove it in the next release...

Laurent

--
Laurent JULLIARD
Xerox Global Services