[ANN] FreeRIDE 0.9.2 - The Free Ruby IDE

Laurent Julliard

Version 0.9.2 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for download!

For details and downloads, go to:

http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

Starting with 0.9.2 FreeRIDE uses FOX/FXRuby 1.2.x. Please note that
there is no backward compatibility with FOX/FXRuby 1.0.x. Beside that,
you'll find a number of bug fixes to enhance usability and
reliability. Have fun! And, as always, feedback and contributions are
welcome

NOTE: If you experience troubles (e.g. crashes) at startup time,
delete your FreeRIDE configuration directory in $HOME/.freeride for
Linux users or %USERPROFILE%\freeride on Windows to restart from a
fresh setting.

=== FreeRIDE Overview ===

FreeRIDE aims to be a full-featured, first-class IDE on a par with
those available for other languages, with all the best-of-breed
features that you would expect in a high-end IDE.

Some of FreeRIDE's features include:

* Multi-file editing
* Syntax highlighting
* Auto-indenting
* Code Folding
* Source navigation by module, class, method, etc.
* Integrated debugging
* Written in Ruby for easy extension

Some planned features include:
* Full internationalization
* High-end refactoring support
* Remote pair programming

In its current state, FreeRIDE cannot yet be called a real IDE. What
is does have is a stable infrastructure with all the working plumbing
needed for the hordes of anxious Ruby developers that want to create
plugins to extend the functionality of FreeRIDE. The FreeRIDE team
will be working on such FreeRIDE plugins that we will individually
release to incrementally improve the FreeRIDE system. Periodically we
will rollup these added plugins into new releases of FreeRIDE.

Even if you have not officially joined the FreeRIDE team you can still
create plugins for you own use, share them with others, or send them
to us and we will make them available for download from our project
wiki. We may even ask for your permission to include them in the
FreeRIDE core distribution.

gabriele renzi

Laurent Julliard ha scritto:
Version 0.9.2 of FreeRIDE has been released and is available for download!

For details and downloads, go to:

http://freeride.rubyforge.org/

Starting with 0.9.2 FreeRIDE uses FOX/FXRuby 1.2.x. Please note that
there is no backward compatibility with FOX/FXRuby 1.0.x. Beside that,
you'll find a number of bug fixes to enhance usability and reliability.
Have fun! And, as always, feedback and contributions are welcome

thank you, this seem a nice enhancement (at least because scrolling seem
to work fine, finally :)

Just some things I was thinking:
- The win32 distribution has a redist/i386-linux/ directory with some
useless stuff (I guess it is the same for the linux installer).

- The source parser used ATM is a pure ruby simple one. There was an
older one based on ripper, but abandoned cause ripper was too unstable.
Now that ripper is included again for RRB, would'nt make sense to use it
again ? (for better/faster parsing)

- the lexer for Scintilla seems to be... 'pythonic'. There is no such
thing as a non terminating string in ruby. IIRC someone was working on a
better ruby lexer/parser for scite. Maybe it can be used with FR too
or are the syntax highlight rules done at the ruby level?

thank again to evrybody behind this great application.

steven_todd_harris

I saw some rumblings of an OS/X installer. Is that released with this
version as well?

Laurent Julliard

I saw some rumblings of an OS/X installer. Is that released with this
version as well?

Not yet. Brendan Boesen is currently working on it. It doesn't seem
unreasonable to think that a Mac OS X installer should be avaible for
the next release.

Laurent

Laurent Julliard

gabriele said:
Laurent Julliard ha scritto:

thank you, this seem a nice enhancement (at least because scrolling seem
to work fine, finally :)

Just some things I was thinking:
- The win32 distribution has a redist/i386-linux/ directory with some
useless stuff (I guess it is the same for the linux installer).

Yes it is. Thigs are slowly being removed as more and more things are
integrated in Ruby 1.8.x. No doubt we are a little bit behind in doing
the clean up.
- The source parser used ATM is a pure ruby simple one. There was an
older one based on ripper, but abandoned cause ripper was too unstable.
Now that ripper is included again for RRB, would'nt make sense to use it
again ? (for better/faster parsing)

Probably so. the stock ripper is no longer in use and could be
removed. The rrb_ripper (a modified version that returns positional
information about the syntactic entities) is used for code
refactoring. However code refactoring is sitll largely experimental
and I prefer to keep so simple-rough-on-the-edge syntactic parser for
the FreeRIDE source browser.

But clearly we need a single, robust, fast Ruby parser in place before
FreeRIDE 1.0
- the lexer for Scintilla seems to be... 'pythonic'. There is no such
thing as a non terminating string in ruby. IIRC someone was working on a
better ruby lexer/parser for scite. Maybe it can be used with FR too or
are the syntax highlight rules done at the ruby level?

The Ruby lexer is more than sub-optimal... It's the least I can say.
Kaspar Shiess submitted at new lexer a while ago but it sounds like
the SciTE/Scintilla guys are slow in integrating it into the main
stream. And the FreeRIDE team is reluctant to fork its own Scintilla
library. We already have enough work on our plate and not enough
contributors.

By the way I'd like to make a call for contributors here. FreeRIDE has
now reached a point where we need more manpower to make it grow
faster. The technical foundation is stable now which makes it easier
for people to get into it and invest time and effort.
thank again to evrybody behind this great application.

Thanks for the kind words! It helps.

Laurent

--
Laurent JULLIARD
Xerox Global Services

Curt Hibbs

Laurent said:
By the way I'd like to make a call for contributors here. FreeRIDE has
now reached a point where we need more manpower to make it grow
faster. The technical foundation is stable now which makes it easier
for people to get into it and invest time and effort.

This was buried at the end of Laurent's last post and I wanted to pull it
out and highlight it...

FreeRIDE is written entirely in Ruby and is 100% plugin based for easy
extension. FreeRIDE has come a long way in the last two years (with Laurent
doing most of the work, and a little bit of help from myself and Rich
Kilmer). Progress has been slow, but steady. All of us would like to see
more features implemented, but we really need more ruby developer's to push
this along at a faster clip.

Help to make FreeRIDE *your* IDE... the open source Ruby IDE built by the
ruby community, for the ruby community.

Here are some possible areas in which you could help:

* Rails Support -- I'd love to see an optional plugin that provided direct
support for developing Rails web applications.

* Project Management -- someone is working on this, but he probably could
use some help.

* Help System -- local help with integrated links to web resources.

* Advanced Editing -- template expansion, code completion.

* Advanced Code Navigation -- for example, right-click on a name and be able
to select "Go to Definition"

* Internationalization

* Scripting -- a super-simple way for a user to create and use tiny ruby
scripts to help automate repetitive operations.

* <insert-your-favorite-ide-feature-here> --
<subscribe-yourself-to-freeride-devel-ML-and-volunteer>

Check it out at:
http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

Thanks,
Curt

gabriele renzi

Laurent Julliard ha scritto:
Yes it is. Thigs are slowly being removed as more and more things are
integrated in Ruby 1.8.x. No doubt we are a little bit behind in doing
the clean up.

notice my point was'nt about useless libraries. I was atalking about
linux binaries on the windows version :)

Curt Hibbs

gabriele said:
Laurent Julliard ha scritto:

notice my point was'nt about useless libraries. I was atalking about
linux binaries on the windows version :)

That's my fault -- thanks for pointing it out. I fix this in the next go
around.

Curt