[ANN] Futures and JRuby: The Omnibus Concurrency Library 0.2.1

MenTaLguY

--=-xL677J1Fq2Gb8CLTUc90

Just a quick note that I've released version 0.2.1 of the 'concurrent'
gem, which provides Actors, data-parallel programming, and transparent
futures (plus lazy evaluation) for Ruby. This one adds:

* Actor timeouts
* Cleaned up support for Futures
* Support for JRuby

Downloadables are here:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D3690&release_id=3D12005

I'll be working on documentation for the next release, but until then,
here's a brief example of futures in action:

require 'concurrent/futures'
include Concurrent::Futures

f =3D Future.async { 3 * 3 } # the block runs in a new thread
f.inspect # =3D> #<Thunk #<Thread:0xdeadcafe run>>
f + 1 # waits for thread to complete, then =3D> 10
f.inspect # =3D> 9

-mental

--=-xL677J1Fq2Gb8CLTUc90

--=-xL677J1Fq2Gb8CLTUc90--

MenTaLguY

--=-4nnX6JRKyXzzxwpdoGYj

Do you plan on releasing the scheduler dependency soon? :)

Wow, I thought I'd already released it. Guess not though...

Here you go:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D3644

-mental

--=-4nnX6JRKyXzzxwpdoGYj

--=-4nnX6JRKyXzzxwpdoGYj--

MenTaLguY

--=-ungPuux6IwrWRRw7m9/7

Incidentally, I'd like to hear from anyone using the library -- what
they like and what they don't. It'll help me a lot to decide where to
take things.

Also, sorry again about the scheduler mix-up. It should be uploaded
now.

-mental

--=-ungPuux6IwrWRRw7m9/7

--=-ungPuux6IwrWRRw7m9/7--