[ANN] Gambit 0.1.1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by James Edward Gray II, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Gambit 0.1.1 Released
    =======================

    Let the games begin!

    This marks the first official release of Ruby's web gaming framework,
    Gambit. Gambit was started in May of 2005 as a codefest project
    between James Edward Gray II and Greg Brown.

    What is Gambit?
    -----------------

    Gambit is a pure Ruby framework for building Web games. Gambit can
    manage player accounts and game hosting and ships with a wide
    assortment of game design tools. With Gambit, developers can write
    the game specific code and launch.

    What's new in this release?
    ---------------------------

    Everything, of course. Gambit is brand new!

    Seriously, Gambit is still evolving, so use these early releases
    *knowing* things will change. The controller is the area still in
    the greatest state of flux as we finish implementing the basics and
    squash bugs. Because of that, we've purposefully not documented it
    yet. It's our number one priority for the second release though, so
    stay tuned.

    On a more helpful note, the model and view layers are far enough
    along to be considered beta and we wanted to get those out to those
    who have been patiently waiting for them. Luckily, these are totally
    usable today for making games in any medium from command-line
    applications to Rails programs. These layers are also completely
    documented, ahead of schedule.

    If you would like to learn more, please look into the documentation,
    unit tests and examples in the source distribution.

    Where can I learn more?
    -----------------------

    Gambit is hosted on RubyForge.

    Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/gambit/
    Documentation: http://gambit.rubyforge.org/
    Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=509&release_id=2915

    How do I get Gambit?
    ----------------------

    Gambit is a gem, so as long as you have RubyGems installed it's as
    simple as:

    $ sudo gem install gambit

    If you need to install RubyGems, you can download it from:

    Gambit can also be installed manually. Just download the latest
    release and follow the instructions in INSTALL:

    James Edward Gray II
    Greg Brown

    James Edward Gray II, Sep 11, 2005

  2. James Edward Gray II

    Matt Mower Guest

    On 9/11/05, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > Gambit 0.1.1 Released
    > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    >=20
    > Let the games begin!

    Really cool that you've released this James.

    Thanks,

    Matt

    --=20
    Matt Mower :: http://matt.blogs.it/

    Matt Mower, Sep 11, 2005

  3. On Sep 11, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Matt Mower wrote:

    > On 9/11/05, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    >
    >> Gambit 0.1.1 Released
    >>
    >> Let the games begin!
    >>

    > Really cool that you've released this James.

    Sorry about the wait.

    We'll even get the controller ready to use eventually... ;)

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Sep 11, 2005