[ANN] GCC 4.1.2 installer for Python distutils compilation

Discussion in 'Python' started by Giovanni Bajo, Mar 18, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    This page:
    http://www.develer.com/oss/GccWinBinaries

    contains a friendly Windows installer for GCC 4.1.2 (MinGW binary version),
    with full support for integrating it with Python installations so that it is
    used by distutils to compile Python extensions.

    Direct download link:
    http://www.develer.com/~rasky/gcc-4.1.2-mingw-setup.exe

    Who needs this package?

    * People who wants to use FLOSS tools to develop Python extensions.
    * People who wants to use the recent GCC 4.1.2 to develop Python extensions,
    given that it easily outperforms the 4-years-old Visual Studio .NET 2003.

    What's special about this?

    * mingw.org still has GCC 3.4.2, so go figure. Also, you need to compose
    other packages together. This is a single installer with everything inside.
    * By default, MinGW GCC links with MSVCRT.DLL, and not MSVCR71.DLL (used by
    Python 2.4 and 2.5). Fixing this is pretty complicate, and there's much
    confusion (Google turns up red herrings). This package handles everything for
    you, and it just works.

    --
    Giovanni Bajo
    Develer S.r.l.
    Giovanni Bajo, Mar 18, 2007

  2. Giovanni Bajo

    David Rushby Guest

    Re: GCC 4.1.2 installer for Python distutils compilation

    On Mar 18, 5:08 am, Giovanni Bajo <> wrote:
    > This page:
    > http://www.develer.com/oss/GccWinBinaries
    >
    > contains a friendly Windows installer for GCC 4.1.2 (MinGW binary version),
    > with full support for integrating it with Python installations so that it is
    > used by distutils to compile Python extensions.

    Sweet!

    Even though I have access to MSVC 7.1, so I don't really need MinGW
    myself, it can be unnecessarily difficult to get Windows-using
    contributors started on a project that involves C extensions. Your
    contribution should improve the situation greatly.

    Thanks a lot.
    David Rushby, Mar 18, 2007

  3. Re: GCC 4.1.2 installer for Python distutils compilation

    On 18/03/2007 13.24, David Rushby wrote:

    > Even though I have access to MSVC 7.1, so I don't really need MinGW
    > myself, [...]

    But remember that GCC 4.1.2 is almost 4 years newer than MSVC 7.1, and I found
    it to produce more optimized code (especially for C++). Since it's a free
    alternative, it might be worth to give it a go :)
    --
    Giovanni Bajo
    Giovanni Bajo, Mar 18, 2007
  4. Giovanni Bajo

    On Mar 18, 6:22 pm, Giovanni Bajo <> wrote:
    > On 18/03/2007 13.24, DavidRushbywrote:
    >
    > > Even though I have access to MSVC 7.1, so I don't really need MinGW
    > > myself, [...]

    > But remember that GCC 4.1.2 is almost 4 years newer than MSVC 7.1, and
    > I found it to produce more optimized code (especially for C++). Since it's
    > a free alternative, it might be worth to give it a go :)

    I just wrote a high-performance Windows-1251 codec in C (an optimized
    alternative to Python's including 'cp1251' codec).

    On Windows 2000 / Prescott PIV, GCC 4.1.2 does indeed produce code
    that is 30% faster than MSVC (this is with aggressive optimization
    switch tinkering on both compilers). This is for fairly simple, non-
    floating-point C code.
    David Rushby, Mar 23, 2007