[ANN] gem-exefy 1.0.0 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by bosko.ivanisevic@gmail.com, Jun 25, 2012.

  1. Guest

    In cooperation with the rest of the RubyInstaller team I'm pleased to
    announce the release of the first version ofgem-exefy gem.

    gem-exefy version 1.0.0 has been released!

    * GitHub repository: <http://github.com/bosko/gem-exefy>

    GemExefy is RubyGems plugin aimed to replace batch files (.bat) with
    executables with the same name. This gem will work only on
    RubyInstaller Ruby installation and it requires RubyInstaller DevKit.

    Reason for such replaceming batch files with executable stubs is
    twofold. When execution of batch file is interrupted with Ctrl-C key
    combination, user is faced with the confusing question

    "Terminate batch job (Y/N)?"

    which is avoided after replacement.

    Second reason is appearance of processes in Task manager (or Process
    Explorer). In the case of batch files all processes are visible as
    ruby.exe. In order to distinguish between them, program arguments must
    be examined. In addition, having one process name makes it hard to
    define firewall rules. Having executable versions instead of batch
    files will facilitate process identification in task list as well as
    defining firewall rules. Moreover it makes it possible to create
    selective firewall rules for different Ruby gems. Installing Ruby
    applications as Windows services should be also much easer when
    executable stub is used instead of batch file.

    Changes:

    ### 1.0.0 / 2012-06-25

    * 1 major enhancement

    * Birthday!

    -
    Regards,
    Boško Ivanišević
    http://pragdevnotes.com

    , Jun 25, 2012

  2. Am 25.06.2012 09:28, schrieb :
    > GemExefy is RubyGems plugin aimed to replace batch files (.bat) with
    > executables with the same name. This gem will work only on
    > RubyInstaller Ruby installation and it requires RubyInstaller DevKit.

    So if I install Ruby using the RubyInstaller team’s 7zip archives and
    use my own MinGW/MSYS installation (which I have installed for C/C++
    development) this won’t work?

    Vale,
    Marvin

    Marvin Gülker, Jun 26, 2012