ANN: GMPY 1.12 and GMPY2 unstable released

Discussion in 'Python' started by casevh, Jun 27, 2010.

  1. casevh

    casevh Guest

    Everyone,

    I'm pleased to annouce the release both a production and
    experimental release of GMPY. GMPY is a wrapper for the
    MPIR or GMP multiple-precision arithmetic library. GMPY
    is available for download from:

    http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/

    Production release
    ------------------

    GMPY 1.12 is the new stable release. In addition to fixing
    a few bugs, GMPY 1.12 adds support for Python 2.7 and the
    current py3k development trunk. Even though my primary
    development focus has shifted to GMPY2 (see below), GMPY
    1.X will continue to receive bug and compatibility fixes.

    Experimental release
    --------------------

    To simplify the codebase, allow for changes in the API,
    and support simultaneous installation, the development
    version has been renamed to GMPY2. The following is list
    of changes in GMPY2:

    * support for a mutable integer type "xmpz"
    * removal of random number functions
    * "xmpz" supports slices for setting/clearing bits
    * some methods have been renamed (scan1 -> bit_scan1)
    * support for Python prior to 2.6 has been removed
    * support for all division modes has been added
    * ceiling - round to +Infinity
    * floor - round to -Infinity
    * truncate - round to zero
    * 2exp - division by a power of 2
    * support is_even() and is_odd()

    If you use GMPY regularly, please test GMPY2. There have been
    several requests asking for a mutable integer and I am curious
    if there are real-world performance improvements.

    Future enhancements
    -------------------

    I am looking for feedback on future enhancements. If you have
    specific requests, please let me know. Below are some ideas
    I've had:

    * An optional "max_bits" parameter for an "xmpz". If
    specified, all results would be calculated modulo
    2^max_bits.

    * I've added the ability to set/clear bits of an "xmpz"
    using slice notation. Should I allow the source to be
    arbitrary set of bits or require that all bits are set
    to 0 or 1? Should support for "max_bits" be required?

    * Improved floating point support.

    Comments on provided binaries
    -----------------------------

    The pre-compiled Windows installers use later versions of
    GMP and MPIR so performance some operations should be
    faster.

    The 32-bit Windows installers were compiled with MinGW32 using
    GMP 5.0.1 and will automatically recognize the CPU type and use
    assembly code optimized for the CPU at runtime. The 64-bit
    Windows installers were compiled Microsoft's SDK compilers
    using MPIR 2.1.1. Detailed instructions are included if you
    want to compile your own binary.

    Please report any issues!

    casevh

    casevh, Jun 27, 2010