[ANN] Google Maps Hacks

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ben Giddings, Jun 20, 2005.

  1. Ben Giddings

    Ben Giddings Guest

    In the spirit of "Release Early, Release Often", I want to provide my
    Google Maps Hacks files and see if anybody can do anything
    interesting with them:

    http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/googlemapshacks/?
    cvsroot=googlemapshacks

    I wanted to do this so I could create my own custom highlighted
    routes on maps. Google Maps is great, but although it marks major
    roads, it doesn't mark bike routes. I have other maps that show that
    info, but Google Maps is much more convenient sometimes. What I
    wanted was a way to mark the bike routes on a Google map.

    So, here's what I have. I can create an XML file that contains a
    "polyline" element. This draws a blue line on the map like the one
    you can get when you ask for directions. The process for getting the
    line on the map is horribly convoluted, but it works, and the
    coordinate encoding system seems to work pretty well too. I'm hoping
    that maybe someone else will feel inspired by this and want to make
    the process much more useful.

    The files in CVS are in a pretty well commented, pretty useful
    state. Like I said, the process is awful now, but pretty well
    documented in the comments for coords.rb.

    Enjoy!

    Ben

    Ben Giddings, Jun 20, 2005

  2. Ben Giddings

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Ben Giddings wrote:

    > In the spirit of "Release Early, Release Often", I want to provide my Google
    > Maps Hacks files and see if anybody can do anything interesting with them:
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/googlemapshacks/?
    > cvsroot=googlemapshacks
    >
    > I wanted to do this so I could create my own custom highlighted routes on
    > maps. Google Maps is great, but although it marks major roads, it doesn't
    > mark bike routes. I have other maps that show that info, but Google Maps is
    > much more convenient sometimes. What I wanted was a way to mark the bike
    > routes on a Google map.
    >
    > So, here's what I have. I can create an XML file that contains a "polyline"
    > element. This draws a blue line on the map like the one you can get when you
    > ask for directions. The process for getting the line on the map is horribly
    > convoluted, but it works, and the coordinate encoding system seems to work
    > pretty well too. I'm hoping that maybe someone else will feel inspired by
    > this and want to make the process much more useful.
    >
    > The files in CVS are in a pretty well commented, pretty useful state. Like I
    > said, the process is awful now, but pretty well documented in the comments
    > for coords.rb.

    this sounds awesome! i've been doing this by hand ;-)

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Jun 20, 2005

  3. Michael Campbell, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Ben Giddings

    Ben Giddings Guest

    On Monday 20 June 2005 10:16, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
    > this sounds awesome! i've been doing this by hand ;-)

    There's a proof-of-concept out there for really interesting maps using the
    "paths" in interesting ways:

    http://www.chicagocrime.org/zipcodes/60617/

    Adding the map locations wouldn't be too difficult, but I think there's
    still a lot of work to do to get really good paths.

    Anyhow, any contributions you can make to the effort would be great. I'll
    give anybody who wants it CVS access.

    All I want, in the end, is a map with my bike paths highlighted. :)

    Ben

    Ben Giddings, Jun 20, 2005