ANN: googlenews.py

Discussion in 'Python' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?I=F1igo?= Serna, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. hi there,

    while half the world is watching Olympic Games and the other half
    is discussing about decorators, and as far as my good proposal
    ("#decorator" :) has been sadly ignored, I've spent last days writing
    googlenews.py [1], a simple python script to retrieve news from the
    http://news.google.com service.

    Supported feeds: es, fr, de, it, nz, au, in, ca, uk, us
    Can export to: rss2 xml and html files

    Requirements:
    - Python 2.3+
    - BeautifulSoap (http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup)

    I use it in a hourly cron script, building rss files which I read with
    liferea :

    [inigo@inigo inigo]$ cat /etc/cron.hourly/googlenews
    #!/bin/bash
    /home/devel/mine/googlenews/googlenews.py --rss-path=/tmp -w -q es
    /home/devel/mine/googlenews/googlenews.py -cnes --rss-path=/tmp -w -q nz
    exit 0
    [inigo@inigo inigo]$

    type "googlenews.py --help" for more info.

    Hope you like it,
    Iñigo

    [1] http://inigo.katxi.org/devel/misc/googlenews.py
    [2] http://liferea.sourceforge.net
    --
    Iñigo Serna <>
    Katxijasotzaileak

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?I=F1igo?= Serna, Aug 25, 2004