[ANN] HighLine 0.2.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by James Edward Gray II, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. HighLine 0.2.0 Released
    =======================

    Just thought I would let everyone know that I did package up and
    release an updated version of my HighLine quiz (#29) solution. I find
    it handy, so I hope others will too.

    If anyone uses this, feedback is welcome ().
    I do have a TODO list of features I would like to add, but I'm also
    open to suggestions of how to grow the project and make in useful to
    all.

    What is HighLine?
    -----------------

    (from the README)

    HighLine was designed to ease the tedious tasks of doing console input
    and output with low-level methods like gets() and puts(). HighLine
    provides a robust system for requesting data from a user, without
    needing to code all the error checking and validation rules and without
    needing to convert the typed Strings into what your program really
    needs. Just tell HighLine what you're after, and let it do all the
    work.

    What's new in this release?
    ---------------------------

    (highlights from the CHANGELOG)

    * Added range checks for "above" and "below".
    * Added support for validate = lambda { ... }.
    * Added default answer support.
    * Added complete documentation.

    Plus bug fixes and code clean-up all around.

    Where can I learn more?
    -----------------------

    HighLine is now hosted on RubyForge.

    Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/highline/
    Documentation: http://highline.rubyforge.org/
    Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=683

    How do I get HighLine?
    ----------------------

    HighLine is a gem, so as long as you have RubyGems installed it's as
    simple as:

    $ sudo gem install highline

    If you need to install RubyGems, you can download it from:

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Apr 29, 2005

  2. On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 03:34:29AM +0900, itsme213 wrote:
    > Cool, thanks!
    >
    > Now if HighLine and Cmd could work together: high-level console interaction
    > with completion for both commands and args ... that would be even cooler!
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group...b75da7?q=command&rnum=1&#doc_3dd1e5f6ae8c57ea

    Yeah, that's what I was thinking this morning...Next time I jump into Cmd I'm
    going to incorporate HighLine.

    marcel
    --
    Marcel Molina Jr. <>
    Marcel Molina Jr., Apr 29, 2005

  3. On Apr 29, 2005, at 2:24 PM, Marcel Molina Jr. wrote:

    > On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 03:34:29AM +0900, itsme213 wrote:
    >> Cool, thanks!
    >>
    >> Now if HighLine and Cmd could work together: high-level console
    >> interaction
    >> with completion for both commands and args ... that would be even
    >> cooler!

    [snip link]

    > Yeah, that's what I was thinking this morning...Next time I jump into
    > Cmd I'm
    > going to incorporate HighLine.

    There does seem to be a lot of potential for some kind of combination
    here. I would love to see something come of this. Do contact me
    Marcel, if I can be of any help...

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Apr 29, 2005