[ANN] HighLine 0.3.0 -- Now with ANSI colors!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by James Edward Gray II, May 4, 2005.

  1. HighLine 0.3.0 Released
    =======================

    I've ticked a few items off the TODO list so I thought I would share.

    If anyone uses this, feedback is welcome ().
    I do have a TODO list of features I would like to add, but I'm also
    open to suggestions of how to grow the project and make in useful to
    all.

    What is HighLine?
    -----------------

    (from the README)

    HighLine was designed to ease the tedious tasks of doing console input
    and output with low-level methods like gets() and puts(). HighLine
    provides a robust system for requesting data from a user, without
    needing to code all the error checking and validation rules and without
    needing to convert the typed Strings into what your program really
    needs. Just tell HighLine what you're after, and let it do all the
    work.

    What's new in this release?
    ---------------------------

    (highlights from the CHANGELOG)

    * Added support for installing with setup.rb.
    * Added support for ANSI color sequences in say(). (And everything else
    by extension.)
    * Added whitespace handling for answers. Can be set to :strip, :chomp,
    :collapse, :strip_and_collapse, :chomp_and_collapse, :remove, or
    :none.
    * Added support for fetching single character input either with getc()
    or
    HighLine's own cross-platform terminal input routine.
    * Improved type conversion to handle user defined classes.

    Plus documentation and examples for the new features.

    Where can I learn more?
    -----------------------

    HighLine is hosted on RubyForge.

    Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/highline/
    Documentation: http://highline.rubyforge.org/
    Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=683

    How do I get HighLine?

    HighLine is a gem, so as long as you have RubyGems installed it's as
    simple as:

    $ sudo gem install highline

    If you need to install RubyGems, you can download it from:

    HighLine can also be installed manually. Just download the latest
    release and follow the instructions in INSTALL:

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, May 4, 2005